You can type here any text you want

Old School Audio

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Yup. :)

I prefer Altecs and JBL's with my McIntosh 70's and 80's stuff.

But I do have a nice pair of Klipsch Heresy bookshelf speakers that sound amazing for their size, real nice walnut veneer too.

The 60's through the 80's saw the development of some real nice equipment.

Although horn loaded speaker cabinets are from the 30's I believe. :cool:

Those speakers would give ya cancer if you played them in Kalifornia, ALNICO magnets. :p

Glad i'm not the only one that remembers those.. I'd hate to be the one moving those around..

I still have a set of Monitor speakers.. but thats all I could afford at the time ;)

I still play the crap out of my little Klipsch Kg4's. Decent speaker for the size and I've them had since '89. I use their ProMedia 2.1 for the home PC.

Funny that you posted this tonight. I was on Amazon.com and found a set of Klipschhorn speakers !!! I couldn't afford a set of Klipsch speakers way back when, I bought a pair of Cerwin-Vega D-9's....they ROCKED !!! I did some work for a guy back in the late 80's and took a pair of 6' tall Magneplanars for payment !!! I've still got them and need to refinish them.

Amazon.com: Klipsch Klipschorn Three-Way Speaker System with Klipsch's Legendary Folded Horn Driver (Walnut, Single Speaker): Home Audio & Theater

Back in the early '70's, we had a system with 4 speakers, 2 McIntoshs ML2C and 2 Altec Lansings 847 Seville. The McIntosh speakers were connected to a Crown DC300A amplifier and the Altec Lansings were connected to a McIntosh MC 2505 amplifier. Both amps were connected to a McIntosh MX112 preamplifier/tuner and a McIntosh ...We also had a Thorens TD124 and a Transcriptors Skeleton turntable...
After my dad passed away, my mom sold the house and everything was sold, but there are times I wish I had kept them...

Claude. :redface:

A little off topic but

about 15 years ago I bought a set of Bose series 3 (?) in memphis,TN for $30 still sound good and I am still smiling.

I still listen to my original set-up from many years ago.
Conrad-Johnson pre-amp and (2) amps, Revox cd, tuner, and cassette (not so much), and Fourier 1L speakers (rare, amazing sound).:eek:

Went to an open house a few years ago, and listened to a 30-35k C-J and Martin Logan system, and I kept thinking 'my old system sounds pretty damn good' :biggrin:

In 76-79 we had the Huge 15' JBL a-40's (I think) 4'x4'x4' with 3'x4'x4' mids & horns 2'x2'x2' Those were crazy for a PA system I used the A-40's for my Bass for a few years.
I still have my Genesis speakers from the early 80's that have the wood veneer, cloth covers & were used in Disco's hung from the ceiling. They cant touch the floor so mine are on little wood blocks. Harmon Kardon 560 amp-tuner, Sony dual cass deck & its Loud!!

My aunt had a pair of 70's JBL tower speakers that her late husband had bought way back before they met. They were in pretty bad mechanical shape, but cosmetically were fixable. She was going to trash them, I told her "don't throw those away". She found a guy on craigslist that was looking for a pair. He showed up and offered her $400 for them. Obviously she took it. Hell she would've taken $50 for them.

But I got the amp. :D Phase Linear 700 series II. Don't know what the hell i'll ever do with it, but it looks cool on the shelf! I found info online that says Bob Carver himself is still refurb'ing them, using modern stuff if desired and upping the wattage if desired :eek: . Retail in 1978 was over a grand!

Funny that DaBigGuy mentioned the D-9's. I just dug my old pair out and hooked em to the circa 1985 Pioneer system, and one sounds absolutely Horrible!:mad: I recall having them re-ringed once and totally recovered another time, with the woofer coil knocked off center that time too, but this is WAY worse. The sound is just, well, it's like throwing 200watts at a Sparkomatic cut with a razor! Any ideas guys? I know I need more wattage to keep em running reliably, I've only got 300wX2 and the other specs are lost in time... think I just may need to send it in and have it totally reconditioned, but I'd sure appreciate knowing beforehand what may be needed on something that isn't running anything but some odd midrange out of phase sounds...

Funny that DaBigGuy mentioned the D-9's. I just dug my old pair out and hooked em to the circa 1985 Pioneer system, and one sounds absolutely Horrible!:mad: I recall having them re-ringed once and totally recovered another time, with the woofer coil knocked off center that time too, but this is WAY worse. The sound is just, well, it's like throwing 200watts at a Sparkomatic cut with a razor! Any ideas guys? I know I need more wattage to keep em running reliably, I've only got 300wX2 and the other specs are lost in time... think I just may need to send it in and have it totally reconditioned, but I'd sure appreciate knowing beforehand what may be needed on something that isn't running anything but some odd midrange out of phase sounds...

First get a scanmaster and post some numbers so that we can help you. Have you tried racegas? It'll tell you if the knock is real or false. Whats your oil pressure at idle/full throttle? Fuel pressure, do you have a guage? You need to know that you aren't starving for fuel under boost. You should see an increase of 1lb of fuel pressure per 1lb of boost. What chip are you running........

First get a scanmaster and post some numbers so that we can help you. Have you tried racegas? It'll tell you if the knock is real or false. Whats your oil pressure at idle/full throttle? Fuel pressure, do you have a guage? You need to know that you aren't starving for fuel under boost. You should see an increase of 1lb of fuel pressure per 1lb of boost. What chip are you running........

The scanmaster is looking like a random number generator!:eek:
It's Not Gas, I'm Sure of That much!;)
The Oil is flowing freely!:D
I believe there may be a top end fuel starvation problem, but that doesn't explain the performance problem at lower rpm's where the feed is Well above acceptable levels with these injector's.
Already replaced the chip. Was just a smart move to upgrade for this performance level. Went from the Assmaster 6.9 to the Out the Window 7.
I've tried swapping pieces out with ones known to be functional, to be sure it wasn't just a minor component problem. No appreciable improvement. I even thought the wastegate may be malfunctioning, but thankfully that was just my imagination...

I'm really at the point of considering having a pro work on it, but I just heard that two of the places I know have had to shut down because of their own 'bugs'.:eek:

;):cool::D;)

The scanmaster is looking like a random number generator!:eek:
It's Not Gas, I'm Sure of That much!;)
The Oil is flowing freely!:D
I believe there may be a top end fuel starvation problem, but that doesn't explain the performance problem at lower rpm's where the feed is Well above acceptable levels with these injector's.
Already replaced the chip. Was just a smart move to upgrade for this performance level. Went from the Assmaster 6.9 to the Out the Window 7.
I've tried swapping pieces out with ones known to be functional, to be sure it wasn't just a minor component problem. No appreciable improvement. I even thought the wastegate may be malfunctioning, but thankfully that was just my imagination...

I'm really at the point of considering having a pro work on it, but I just heard that two of the places I know have had to shut down because of their own 'bugs'.:eek:

;):cool::D;)

At this point you might need to check for a loose nut between the steering wheel and the driver's seat. I've seen those cause more problems than everything else combined.:wink:

Way back when.... my dad had a chiropractor (sp?) frend that had some Klipsch Chorus speakers..... they aren't as big as the horns..... but they are not too much smaller....... they are real high efficiency..... major loud speakers for the power you put in.....

At this point you might need to check for a loose nut between the steering wheel and the driver's seat. I've seen those cause more problems than everything else combined.:wink:

WOW! Ug, that's a tough ediagnosis!:frown:
So you think that all my efforts under the hood have been a wrongheaded overthinking of a simple fix problem?:rolleyes::redface:

I hadn't thought to try swappin that nut "out", and that's a pretty expensive nut to replace. In your professional opinion, could it work out if I kegel-coiled the nut so it fits the stud again?
Either way though, 'fix the nut' and that would solve my problems? I'm not doubting your experience but I don't follow the logic. I'm just a layman. I can understand how that would improve overall daily driveability, but yer sayin that fixin the nut would get the ole girl to perform on the top end again too?!:cool: If the she could handle the load without coughin and sputterin when I turn the boost up, That'd be AWESOME!!!!:D;)

I have my old audio system in my shop and it consists of a circa 1980 Sansui receiver/ amp and large 3 way Sansui speakers. I've had CD players and tape decks come and die and they can be bought cheap on craigslist or sometimes you can get them free there! Old school audio can still ROCK!

I have some D-9's as you can see in the pic. I replaced the woofer with a Fosgate 15" and replaced the croosovers. Mine sounded like hell also when I first hooked them up. Go to simplyspeakers and get you some replacement mids and highs and look on ebay for the corssovers. The new crossovers made a HUGE difference. I am pushing them with a Harmon Kardon 250watt 2-channel amp. I can rattle stuff off the shelves.:cool:

As for the original thread topic: I have all Klipsch R-series speakers in my dedicated Home Theater room along with a dual 12" SVS subwoofer.

Attachments

• DSC01889.jpg
    DSC01889.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 90
hello people; I do remember those large cabs. that alot of people had in combo with the high wattage amps and all. I could never afford or even wanted them. I never had the room for anything like that. A friends parents had some Bose 901's suspended at they sounded super. Not as old as the stuff your talking about but they have been around a while. But speaking of watts. It seems all the components now are mega watts to drive the surround sound and all. But a 200 watt tube amp dose'nt seem the same as a pc. at the same wattage in todays world.
IBBY
how's my spelling?

Back