You can type here any text you want

old school Nova spanks WRX Sti

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

meatheadgn

Hi Guys, Sorry about the long post but I don't get in many races with my daily driver Nova.

I got in a good race last night on the way home. I was in my old 1966 Nova four door driving down I-215 and saw a Suburu WRX Sti with a big ugly exhaust pipe coming on the freeway at 21st South onramp. I have a TH350 trans in the nova now so I was in the slow lane going about 60 mph. I moved over two lanes and sped up to about 65 knowing that the classic WRX driver would immediately dive over into the fast lane. I saw him in my mirror coming over into the fast lane and there was a Corsica blocking him in the fast lane so I sped up to pace the Corsica so that the Sti would be next to me. When he was up next to me and riding the bumper of the Corsica I gave him a throttle blip so that he would know I wanted to play. I then moved over a lane so he had a clear straight shot ahead of him. He grabbed a gear as soon as he came out around the Corsica and got me by about half a car length. I punched the old Nova and started to reel him in. I stayed in the throttle for a few seconds until I was at about 5400 rpm in Drive which is about 115 mph. I had him by about 4-5 car lengths. We both slowed down and he drove by my without looking over. I was happy with the old school, early iron spankin' a ricer.

Have a good day,

good deal!

Way to lay it down on those subies, courtesy of some true iron. My sister's fiancee wants to race me with her wrx when my car is finished :rolleyes:, I can't wait to smack him around a bit with my old buick that they are always teasing me about...

Re: good deal!

Originally posted by buickpower
Way to lay it down on those subies, courtesy of some true iron. My sister's fiancee wants to race me with her wrx when my car is finished :rolleyes:, I can't wait to smack him around a bit with my old buick that they are always teasing me about...

I Hear you!! My baby sister is vice president of an Import tuner club online (used to be called pro-mazda.com but now pro-tuner.com) And being both a good brother and a true turbo enthusiast I joined their lil' club (I'm the only domestic) hoping to try to share what turbo knowledge we Turbo Buick owners had been exposed to and pretty much mastered like tuning tips and the relations of boost and detonations etc etc. My car has been awaiting restoration and the whole time I've been waiting I've had to put up ignorant Domestic jokes and quips about our TRs bad rap for being "boats" and unreliable ...old...yadda yadda...my God, with just listening to these kids with their new STIs and Mazdaspeed turbo cars you'd Swear they think THEY just discovered a whole new world of Turbo performance and that theyre at the leading edge of turbo discoveries and its someplace we TR owners cant hold a candle to...With the engine now in the TR I cant wait to make an appearance at one of their regional meets and take the naysayers for a lil' ride from 0 to 100mph! I can already expect I'll be needing to start charging admissions for rides with all the converts I'll be making!! First on my list will be my Broher-in law who swears his 03 Acura RSX-S is soooo fast! course he wanted to race me from the beginning. With one trip from 0-60 I'll simply look over at him and ask..."SO how much of a Head Start do you think I should give you?" Cant wait!!! "the sleeper must awaken..."

Re: Re: good deal!

Originally posted by SITHV6
With the engine now in the TR I cant wait to make an appearance at one of their regional meets and take the naysayers for a lil' ride from 0 to 100mph! I can already expect I'll be needing to start charging admissions for rides with all the converts I'll be making!!

Forget that, pick some meat out, get em to make a huge bet and make em pay the price, heheheh. Then start charging admission for rides =)

Re: Re: good deal!

Originally posted by SITHV6
I Hear you!! My baby sister is vice president of an Import tuner club online (used to be called pro-mazda.com but now pro-tuner.com) And being both a good brother and a true turbo enthusiast I joined their lil' club (I'm the only domestic) hoping to try to share what turbo knowledge we Turbo Buick owners had been exposed to and pretty much mastered like tuning tips and the relations of boost and detonations etc etc. My car has been awaiting restoration and the whole time I've been waiting I've had to put up ignorant Domestic jokes and quips about our TRs bad rap for being "boats" and unreliable ...old...yadda yadda...my God, with just listening to these kids with their new STIs and Mazdaspeed turbo cars you'd Swear they think THEY just discovered a whole new world of Turbo performance and that theyre at the leading edge of turbo discoveries and its someplace we TR owners cant hold a candle to...With the engine now in the TR I cant wait to make an appearance at one of their regional meets and take the naysayers for a lil' ride from 0 to 100mph! I can already expect I'll be needing to start charging admissions for rides with all the converts I'll be making!! First on my list will be my Broher-in law who swears his 03 Acura RSX-S is soooo fast! course he wanted to race me from the beginning. With one trip from 0-60 I'll simply look over at him and ask..."SO how much of a Head Start do you think I should give you?" Cant wait!!! "the sleeper must awaken..."

Tell them that alot of turbo history preceded them! American turbos won WW-2. The b-29 bomber was turboed. As was the p-38lightning, P-51 Mustang, P-47 Thunderbolt, etc.

They DONT KNOW the Power of the Dark Side!

I constantly remind them of turbo history dating back to the Biplnes of WWI and what not, but when they hear ANYTHING other than their wimport specs...I get the "yeah yeah we know...whatever" lol. These are normally young people who's never had a "Real" perfomance car before and suddenly they slap on a turbo and they swear they're the baddest and etc etc. Im passing by the shop today to light a fire under my mechanics butt so I can hurry up and start getting some "PAYBACK" For all the Domestic jokes! The Sleeper Must Awaken!

They DONT KNOW the Power of the Dark Side!

I constantly remind them of turbo history dating back to the Biplnes of WWI and what not, but when they hear ANYTHING other than their wimport specs...I get the "yeah yeah we know...whatever" lol. These are normally young people who's never had a "Real" perfomance car before and suddenly they s

Re: Re: Re: good deal!

Originally posted by ThikStik
Tell them that alot of turbo history preceded them! American turbos won WW-2. The b-29 bomber was turboed. As was the p-38lightning, P-51 Mustang, P-47 Thunderbolt, etc.

Actually the B-29and the P-51 (two-speed two stage supercharger and aftercooler) were centrifugal superchargers integrated into the engine. They were huge, with impellers like 28" in diameter!
The P-38 used one of GE's first 'turbosuperchargers', and the P-47 got turbocharged and water/alcohol injection.

Some huge air-to-air intercooler boxes with 4-7 staggered cores...

Cool planes!

Jim

Back