You can type here any text you want

open exhaust ?'s

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dnovot1

Not quite sure where to post this but anyways. My 87 gn is registered in IL. , which means i no longer have to deal with emmisions. I was curious if there was any down side to completely getting rid of my exhaust. Just running a test or dump pipe i'm not to sure which is which. I am basically thinking of doing away with everything including the cat. converter any ideas, downsides?

Only downside I can think of is trouble with the cops. We're exempt from testing for emissions but a cop could still give you a hard time for it, both from an emissions standpoint and for noise. We aren't required to test anymore but that doesn't mean our cars don't have to be street legal.

I drive around with an open dump pipe all the time. Only trouble so far is a cop that followed me into a Circuit City parking lot and was still circling around when I came out 20 minutes later.

No real downside from a performance standpoint. On a turbo car, more exhaust flow is always good.

Exhaust ?

If you want to stay legit looking. Take your cat off and gut it then put the cat back on. Unless your car is way loud (no mufflers)which would cause a cop to do a visual. Cops usually ain't out there upholding emmission laws. I've run a gutted cat for years :cool: on my other GN. Now I run a single muffler with a turndown right off the down pipe. When I need to pass emmissions every 2 years a cat goes on then the same muffler. Soon as she passes the cat goes and plays for 2years.;) can't have that Gato hurting my lil mouse Speedy! Comprende?

A test pipe is a straight thru pipe and a cut out is the pic below. As far as driving on the street. I would run a cut out with a single exhaust "lighter" same size pipping as the downpipe. I have noticed almost 2 tenths with the cut out open in the 1/8 mile.
IMG_0140.jpg

In my state, as long as I have a cat, I need no mufflers, since a turbo acts as a muffler.

Im running a 3" gutted cat w/ an exhaust pipe going through it(thanks Grumpy:biggrin: ) I am not using any exhaust after that b/c I cant afford it!! I have driven past quite a few cops, I just let off the gas pedal. My 98 Formula has an off road y-pipe on it and havent got stopped, yet!!

And even *IF* the cops can't ding you for removing the cat, they can clobber you to exhaust noise. The noise thing has been going on for decades.

I took my exhaust off while i was waiting for the replacement to come in.. I got stopped and ticketed for a $500.00 dollar fine. I had no cat on the car which made it so illegal.... The law doesn't play around!

Back