Opera Lights?

Cale22

Doh!
Do any cars have the same opera lights as the Regal Limited? Or any parts interchange? I need new bulbs but the parts are discontinued. :(

I believe the opera lights are a kind of indiglo type light thats the same as the pass side limited dash plate. As far as I found out about mine, the lights would have to be replaced as an assembly being they dont have any bulbs to change. Maybe the power supply in yours is bad. Its located in the trunk area right between the two rear speaker area. Ive seen different kinds of opera lights on the regals but if you have the kind like my limited Turbo T on http://www.zalimas.com you would have the kind like I described above. Good luck, STEVE Z

Hey Steve,

Thanks, I have the same opera lights that you do! Have yours ever gone out before? Know of any source to get them from? I'll check the power source like you said, thanks so much!

Steve-

I forgot to ask, how bright does your limited dash plate illuminate? Mine glows, but its really hard to tell unless you look closely.

Mine never went out since Ive had the car(only since Jan) but Ive looked for spares in the yards to no avail. My dash plaque does light up but its dim. Just enough to let you know its there. Its lit up the same way the opera lights are lit up. Indiglo style with no bulbs.

opera lights

If both your lights are out, check the 'inverter' in the trunk. DO NOT check it with a 12 v. test light! If you look closely at the green relay underneath the package tray, (between the rear speakers) you will see it has a tag on it ,110v. One of these can be found in the trunk of many Olds. 88,98's ect.

The opera lights used on the 86/87 Regals are photoluminescent, 110v as indicated above. Check the output, and cross your fingers - they are pretty hard to find in boneyards. There's other GM's with similar units, but I belive that shape is specific to the Regal Limiteds. :(

Dash pads should be bright enough to read from the driver's seat.. they dim with age.

Originally posted by Cale22
Can the inverter be repaired?

Doubtful.. You can get them at the junkyard...

Might want to put a post in "Parts Wanted" - IF that's the problem. Have you probed them and checked to see if you ahve voltage in and out? Checked ALL fuses?

Yep, I checked all the fuses in the fuse box the relate with the opera lights. There is power going in/out of the inverter but its no 110v. Is there anyway to up the power?

I found a Regal with opera lights at the yard today. The right side was gone but the driver side is still there. I pulled the chrome trim and the lens came off with it. I tried to get the light off but I didn't have a screw driver so I just hid the trim and the lens.

If you need something from this car let me know. I would be glad to get some parts for you.:)

THANK YOU! Can you get the inverter for me? It's located in the trunk in between the speakers I believe, the wires from the opera lights go into these. Also, could I have any of the parts you have for the opera lights, thanks. :) E-mail me Jericho82@aol.com.

Sent you mail. I forgot to mention there is another Regal that has the side marker lights in the front fenders. Aren't these hard to find as well?

Inverter

Cale22, I found an inverter for you if you still want it. Let me know. Mike

Mike, is this inverter off of a regal? Or would you know if its regal specific? If/so I'll take it! I just bought one off another board member, but the more the merrier! ;)

Yes, the inverter and light came from an '82 or '83 Regal Limited. I almost pulled the harness but figured you didn't need that. :D

I could use these parts also ,,,,anyone have any spares