You can type here any text you want

Operate Electric Shifter With F.A.S.T

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

9SECVSIX

Is there a way to activate the electric shifter solenoid at a selected RPM with the earlier Fel_Pro computer, maybe with the Nitrous control? I have tried 2 different RPM switchs, a MSD and a Shifnoid with unsatisfactory results:( Or does anyone know of a RPM switch that will give satisfactory results with the Turbo Buick ignition?
Thanks
Brent

Hi Brent. Maybe you just need to pull up the tach signal to the switches? Assuming you're trying to use the tach output to drive 'em. If you had a box with working nitrous control you might be able to get it to switch the n2o output at an rpm too. Just tell it wet flow and zero out the timing retard value and it oughta work ok. I think the Honda guys sometimes do this for VTEC control. Your box may need different fw though to have the nawwzzz control work.

TurboTR

What about a tach w/shift light? Could that drive a relay/solenoid?

RPM activated switch

Hey Brent I am also interested in using the felpro to do the shifting in my car as well. Todd I am sure he is pulling the tach signal to the switches but unless he has had them converted they will not see the signal. I am using an MSD unit and all you need to do is send it back to MSD and have it converted to [ 5 volt square wave ] and it will work fine off the tach port. I currently am using this set up with the dial "chip" to set the shifts points. I need more passes on my combo to find the final shift points but I feel it is limited with 200 rpm jumps I think it would be benificial to have finer rpm tuning. In addition if I surpass the shift rpm at the end of the track it blows a fuse in the circuit trying to shift again through the traps. If Craig or anyone else has any thoughts on using the NOS circuit I am interested to know I haven't tried playing with it at all yet I fired mine Tuesday night the week of the Nats and have only made a few runs so far there but I would love to gain some tunability as far as what rpm I can shift. Brent if you have any questions regarding the conversion email me I am glad to help. Dave

Thanks Dave. If that's the case for the fix then he should also be able to just pull the tach output up to ~ 12v through say a 4.7K ohm resistor. Worth a try if you don't want to send the MSD stuff off.

Also I've been using the nitrous control on mine for awhile now too, so together we oughta be able to come up with what we need :-)

TurboTR

NOS control

So Todd are you currently using the NOS control to shift the car? What else is there to set? What do I need to do with the target A/F field in the NOS parameter etc.? You can shoot me an email if you don't want to bore everyone here. I am also wondering what kind of draw the NOS output can stand. I have to pull in a F*rd style starter solenoid which actually fires the shifter. Any thoughts any input would be appreciated. Dave

No I'm really using it to spray the car :-) As for the a/f ratio, I believe it's supposed to work like this- choose wet flow and the fual calc will remain unchanged from normal. I don't think the nitrous target a/f ratio would be in play then either, but not certain on that. The timing retard value is probably still in play though, so should zero that out. As for current drive, I think the output is only intended and suitable for driving a (small) relay coil. Your big solenoid may be too much. What is the measured coil resistance of that f*rd starter solenoid you're using?

However you need to check with your dealer or ? first to see if the nitrous control is actually enabled on your Buick box. It wasn't enabled at first on mine.

TurboTR

Electric Shifter

OK, Am back from another computer crash:( Thanks for the replys guys:) I called MSD they want 35 bucks for the conversion.
Turbo TR is your suggest fix a do it at homer:confused:
Dave, the system has two relays wired into the system and all it needs to operate while in gear of course is a ground signal to the trigger power on one of the relays, I don't think that would require a heavy amp load but am not sure.
Thanks
Brent

Well it's the same fix that's been std practice to get aftermarket tachs to work on GN/TR's since they've been out :-) The issue is the 5v tach output vs an aftermarket tach wanting a 10-12v signal. So we just pull the 5v up to 10-12v with an external resistor to 12v. It's easy.

TurboTR

Back