Opinion: TTA or Sy

corsair231

Guys,
Given the opportunity to pick up another one of GM's Turbo 6 mullet mobiles, provided the condition and price are reasonably comparable, which one gets the nod? There is one of each for sale near me and I only have room for one. The TTA is a Festival Car with some performance mods ie: upgraded turbo, alky, CAI, etc., around 50k miles with an asking price of 17,000. The Sy is mostly original and stock. It has an older repaint that is still in good condition but showing a little wear on the interior. He has the decal kit but it is not on the truck right now. The mileage is higher at right at 100k but the asking price is lower at 13,500.

Pluses for the TTA is that it has lower mileage but with more mods are they tougher miles? Plus it is the LC2 that we all know and love. Performance wise maybe slower to 60 but shouldn't even be close once the horses get to run free. (How do you like the Prince reference with the 80's cars?)

Pluses on the Sy's side. Lower cost and a tough to beat awd launch. Maybe more fun around town where the TTA wouldn't have enough room to stretch it's long legs and it is Bad to The Bone black. Downside to it is the more complicated drive train and the 4.3 that I know very little about.

Now neither one will be intended to be a money making, I'm going to retire on my investment car, but future value does matter some. For the mean time it will be a cruise-in, weekend driver type investment. So based on these factors and just general bad assedness, which one won?

Of course there is also a very nice GN that just posted today in Atlanta for a very nice price!

The TTA will probably be worth more down the road (because of mileage). But, that Sy would be a blast. Honestly, I don’t see how you can wrong either way. So, I’d probably go with the one that is cleanest / most well kept. And I’m pretty sure Ron Bailey bought that GN in Hotlanta this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C'mon guys,
No more opinions on which is more bad ass, recognizable, respectable, resaleable, reliable, repairable, cruise worthy, etc.? Somebody has to have some opinions. It's not like I'm talking about choosing between a MC-SS and an IROC-Z. :rolleyes:

If you are tall you might not like the syclone. I'm 6'2" and didn't by one because it's too tight with the small cab and the dash kinda comes out toward you.

But the IROC-Z beats then all.

Finish you ravioli or chicken cutlets, triple check your hair, add more spray, pour on cologne, add another chain, kiss Grandmom goodbye, say seeyalater to Pop, take out the t-tops, wipe off that one piece of dust, check the fitment of the rear window louvers and headlight covers, adjust fuzzy dice, rev that powerful motor, head on out, meet some buddies and cruise for chicks.

Mess with a GN and lose.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

But the IROC-Z beats then all.

Finish you ravioli or chicken cutlets, triple check your hair, add more spray, pour on cologne, add another chain, kiss Grandmom goodbye, say seeyalater to Pop, take out the t-tops, wipe off that one piece of dust, check the fitment of the rear window louvers and headlight covers, adjust fuzzy dice, rev that powerful motor, head on out, meet some buddies and cruise for chicks.

Mess with a GN and lose.

Don't forget about the van halen cassette :cool:

C'mon guys,
No more opinions on which is more bad ass, recognizable, respectable, resaleable, reliable, repairable, cruise worthy, etc.? Somebody has to have some opinions. It's not like I'm talking about choosing between a MC-SS and an IROC-Z. :rolleyes:

...Ok Ill support my vote for the TTA. I was 42 years old when I got mine... Ummm when I got my wife one :cool:. We have had anything an everything since the 60/70s fun cars. BB 65 Corvette, Shelby Mustangs GT 350/500's and an original 427 Cobra and a lot more. Got outta cars in the early 80's. Car were all slugs. I was a die hard Ford guy back then.
..Wife had a new Z28/GTAs every other year since 82/89. Those cars were nice looking but lacked power. I can remember all the Mustangs at a traffic light "looking" for a race. Always held my head down and wouldn't make eye contach with them. I knew what the out come would be.

... Then along came GNs. Car sickness took over my life again. We had a slew of Turbo Buicks. All of the family had em. We even had some as winter beaters. Soooo you know how Mustangs/Buicks were back then. Then late 88 here comes the TTA. Wife liked them better than the G bodys sooo I managed to get her one. She had to use it as a daily driver.
...300 miles an 3 days old we went to the track. Minor mods... chip, K&N and a dump pipe. AND a little tweaking. Ran 12.5s @ 107or 105. Hook was set. Did more tweaking an got into the high 11s.
... Now the reason why I voted for the TTA. driving home from buying the car a Mustang tried to loose me on the exit.. Not happening. They are not a GN and the handle like a go cart. Oh my wife was behind us in my GN with NOS. Ya we ran that for years ! Guy in the Mustang caught me at the next light an looked over at the TTA.. He had no idea what it was. I told him I just got it for my wife. and "Oh it's only a 6 cly" . That was the beginng of the most fun we ever had with one car. Nobody would give it a second look. Oh the TTA fender emblems were backordered. Damm was that car a blast. Wife would race me with the buick an kick my ass. I told her I let up. The car was awesome. Wasn't bad in the snow with Blizzacks . We have had 3 of them. Beautiful car. Easy to go high 11s an leave the damm thing alone !
.... sorry for the sermon :p

I vote for the TTA as long as it has the gaudy pace car stickers on it LOL

now if you could find one of the two typhoons done in radar blue or raspberry only 2 of each obnoxious color that d be something there

...Ok Ill support my vote for the TTA. I was 42 years old when I got mine... Ummm when I got my wife one :cool:. We have had anything an everything since the 60/70s fun cars. BB 65 Corvette, Shelby Mustangs GT 350/500's and an original 427 Cobra and a lot more. Got outta cars in the early 80's. Car were all slugs. I was a die hard Ford guy back then.
..Wife had a new Z28/GTAs every other year since 82/89. Those cars were nice looking but lacked power. I can remember all the Mustangs at a traffic light "looking" for a race. Always held my head down and wouldn't make eye contach with them. I knew what the out come would be.

... Then along came GNs. Car sickness took over my life again. We had a slew of Turbo Buicks. All of the family had em. We even had some as winter beaters. Soooo you know how Mustangs/Buicks were back then. Then late 88 here comes the TTA. Wife liked them better than the G bodys sooo I managed to get her one. She had to use it as a daily driver.
...300 miles an 3 days old we went to the track. Minor mods... chip, K&N and a dump pipe. AND a little tweaking. Ran 12.5s @ 107or 105. Hook was set. Did more tweaking an got into the high 11s.
... Now the reason why I voted for the TTA. driving home from buying the car a Mustang tried to loose me on the exit.. Not happening. They are not a GN and the handle like a go cart. Oh my wife was behind us in my GN with NOS. Ya we ran that for years ! Guy in the Mustang caught me at the next light an looked over at the TTA.. He had no idea what it was. I told him I just got it for my wife. and "Oh it's only a 6 cly" . That was the beginng of the most fun we ever had with one car. Nobody would give it a second look. Oh the TTA fender emblems were backordered. Damm was that car a blast. Wife would race me with the buick an kick my ass. I told her I let up. The car was awesome. Wasn't bad in the snow with Blizzacks . We have had 3 of them. Beautiful car. Easy to go high 11s an leave the damm thing alone !
Great story.

I can't tell you how many Mustangs back in the late 80s I saw lose it, hit curbs, spin, etc back then.

Good stuff right there now

Good story Grump,
Keep'em coming guys. So far it seems the TTA is ahead and yes it does have the gaudy Pace Car stickers and it does go equally well with Van Halen music plus if I can find a big enough chain I can use one of the rims as a gold medallion. All right Sy people, let's hear some stories from you.

Mine didn't have the stickers.. They came in the owners kit. Never cared for them.

dang I need one ill trade you two camels , one candy wrapper and a goat

Probably can't go wrong with either one, but...
I'd vote TTA... wait - I already did that :rolleyes:
You get an iconic 80's shape that can go, stop, and corner - what's not to love?
IMHO, the Syclones are super cool (especially in the iconic black), but none too roomy (I'm 6'2" as well, and not quite as thin as I may have been in the 80's) and seems like the turbo and the 4.3 were not exactly a match made in heaven? ... and how durable is a Sy in general? For your purposes the TTA has 1/2 the miles, and - other than a few [very rare] TTA-specific parts - support and parts are readily available.
Good luck either way.

Look up the comedian Metro Jethro riding in my brother's iroc-z freaking hilarious and I am kind of torn between the two they are both cool the Trans-Am has more the 80's look but the sy/tys are pretty cool I remember getting my butt kicked by one in my wife's 84z that I stuck a aluminum headed 350 motor in which was Big Stuff backed then WoW imagine that aluminum heads big stuff back then anyway but he did only get me by length and a half I spun out of the hole and that all wheel drive left like a rocket Good Times back then