You can type here any text you want

Opinions needed - does this rebuild estimate sound reasonable?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
For sure! Nobody has, but you can bet evey dollar you have that if you go for the tightest spec the Buick manual calls for You Will Blow It Up because the Buick Specs are too tight! The extreme loosest spec (.0018) is not bad but all this Buick VooDoo not a Chevy stuff is making me sick.

Agreed Blown... I'd be looking for .0017 - .0020. I also agree that our motors are just that.... no voodoo. That said, it seems alot of 'less knowledgable' machine shop types don't recognize the importance of the 'slightly' tighter clearances most Buick guys want for a stock-ish rebuild, and you can end up with .0030-.0035 with them telling you it's 'fine'... agree?

I have indeed have had that exact situation happen to me. It was, however, the same shop that does Bill Anderson's cranks: Mancini Machine.

Even at .0033, there was no problem. I had some other Buick type issues like fuel pumps/lean out and wiped #3e lobe...but the large bearing clearance was never a problem even with stock crank, rods, mains, oil pump.

I bet when the clearance gets that big, it is due to the machinist chasing down a problem and needing to dust it out again.

Back