opinions on car stereos

BlackoutDrunk

Spring Loaded Idiot
I would like to get a head unit like this Jensen HD5212 CD receiver with built-in HD Radio® tuner at Crutchfield.com
but am not sure how Jensen's quality is. This unit has all the features I'm looking for secure digital card reader, usb suppot, hd radio, etc etc. I was just wondering if anyone has any personal experience with jensens or if someone who works in an car audio shop can chime in with an opinion or suggestion. The price seems pretty good for all the features but I wouldn't be opposed to paying a bit more for a better quality unit.

I wouldn't be opposed to paying a bit more for a better quality unit.

Thats my suggestion of what to do. Jensen isn't complete junk, its just not as quality of a product (especially long term) as you'll find in other brands that are more commonly purchased for a few $ more. Eclipse, Alpine, Clarion, Sony, Pioneer, and Panasonic will all put you ahead of the Jensen unit, w/ far more support if ever needed. Find a local reputable dealer, and go play w/ a few, find what you like, and buy online for the savings.
Just my $.02

For that price I would definetly go with something much better.

Jenson is low end products.

My 1st choice would be a kenwood.

I think I'll be waiting then. Jensen was the only one I found so far that has all of those features. HD radio, SD card support and USB support. I really like the idea of getting away from CD's.

Thanks for the input guys!

Jensen is junk, stay far far away. I don't really see why you would need both USB and SD support, one or the other should be sufficient. HD Radio is junk if you ask me.

Most of all the name brand head units offer a usb inputs to accept i-pod, portable mp3's and thumb drives.

Jensen is junk, stay far far away. I don't really see why you would need both USB and SD support, one or the other should be sufficient. HD Radio is junk if you ask me.

It's just nice to have options. USB thumb drives are the most common but some people use Secure Digital too. Kinda like having CD and cassette tape in one unit.;) The more I look at it the more I think I might not worry about secure digital and just go front usb.

I have Alpine in my Daily D and in the TTA, for a few years. NO problems.
Because of parking in the city, I take the faceplate off and on at least 4 times everyday and it has never given a problem.
Easy install. Nice features, understated appearance, not ricey looking IMO.

I ended up getting the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB.
DSC00333.jpg

...and I like it a lot. It doesn't have HD radio built in but it's HD radio ready.:rolleyes: Who knows if I will ever get it. The main thing was the USB input and I know that is going to be my main source. It has it's own subwoofer control for later expansion and should be good enough for me for the next 5-10 years.

I ended up getting the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB.
DSC00333.jpg

...and I like it a lot. It doesn't have HD radio built in but it's HD radio ready.:rolleyes: Who knows if I will ever get it. The main thing was the USB input and I know that is going to be my main source. It has it's own subwoofer control for later expansion and should be good enough for me for the next 5-10 years.

I had a similar one. The preset function is a pain in the azz. Not having preset radio station buttons and having to push that large button repeatedly really blows. Sure looks nice tho. They sound pretty good but Eclipse has 8v preouts and has a cleaner output.

I kind of like that one. Looks nice in there. I've got a Premier 880 something or other in the truck. You'll love the USB. :cool: I've got a 4gb stick in there, goes for hours. As far as the preset function, both of mine have them on the radio, but I've never used them. I just use the remote. After a while you memorize the buttons with your finger tips and don't even have to look at it. Only time I even touch the radio is the rare occasion I put in a CD. :)

id stay away from jensen.

i used to install car stereos at a local shop back in the day and my choices r Eclipse, Alpine,Pioneer, jvc (they have come along way as far as quality and the price is reasonable.) Kenwood is ok but they want an arm and a leg for their equipment.

I also recommend staying away from Jensen. They are pretty much complete garbage. Eclipse is one of the better affordable high end CD players out there. They tend to have less bells and whistles, but have higher SQ capabilites like 8V preouts, copper chassis, and preamp only units. Of course there is always going to be something better (Mcintosh and Denon come to mind), but those are not affordable, and are for just pure SQ. Alpine and JVC Arsenal are pretty good units also. JVC Arsenal gives you a lot of features for your $.