Opinions on converting to Blow-thru. 83 Ttype

I have pretty much decided to pull my stock engine and stick it in the barn. Going to build a 4.1 instead. Just in case this takes years to complete, I didn't want the car to be down the whole time.

Still need:
turbo & downpipe (planning on building my own downpipe)
cam & lifters
pistons
intercooler
ECM (leaning towards megasquirt 2)
fuel pump
valve springs
stud kit?
It just never seems to stop..

You have a long ways to go. This swap will not be very cost affective. You could build a ls for about the same money and have more or the same amount of power. The reason I am doing it, is one to be different and two I want to see if I can make a six banger run.

I had planned on doing the LS swap, but the reason it is special is because it is a Turbo v6. I'm not looking for massive HP either, just enough to have fun (fry tires). I'm just building my midlife-crisis car from one that I already had. I'm trying hard not to even try to keep track of how much I am spending since I won't get any of it back.

Hi all,

I am nearing completion on restoring my 83 and am gathering opinions. I have had the car for 28 years now and it is well past time for some love. Interior, body & suspension are all nearly done. Trans was rebuilt and hardened, but the drive train is stock otherwise. I did a rebuild back around 91 after blowing a hole in the #3 piston, so it is bored .30 over with forged pistons, but stock otherwise.

Basically, the power sucks. Even with the best tuning and water/alcohol injection, I am probably looking at 250hp max. Fine for a driver, but not really much in the "fun" department. Here is my thought:

4 bbl intake with Holley sniper EFI (or similar)
87 style exhaust, turbo & intercooler setup
in tank fuel pump for EFI pressure

I would pull the motor and freshen with new head & rods bolts, have the heads checked and new valve springs.
I am estimating around $2000 ish total for a "new" fuel injected 3.8.

Horsepower level is a complete mystery, but it would have to be a significant improvement over now.

Doing an LS swap would cost a lot more, and would take away from being a 3.8 turbo.

Please throw out any thoughts as that is what I am looking for.

Old

View attachment 299048

Current:
View attachment 299049

I had planned on doing the LS swap, but the reason it is special is because it is a Turbo v6. I'm not looking for massive HP either, just enough to have fun (fry tires). I'm just building my midlife-crisis car from one that I already had. I'm trying hard not to even try to keep track of how much I am spending since I won't get any of it back.

Nice looking 83. I have a 82 T with T tops in the same color. Mine does't really fit as a Turbo any more due to the V6 (whole in side) needed to be replaced with Buick 350 V8.It goe very good now (low 13's) What is great that I have most of the paper work for car.

Project went from a "conversion" to completely new build. WAYYYY more expensive that I ever imagined it would be.
Currently waiting on steel main caps to get block work done, but the parts gathering is coming along nicely.

Merry Christmas to me! MS3Pro and 6 smart coils
engine_1.jpgengine_2.jpg

In hindsight, is really should have just gotten a stock GN engine and swapped it in there with mild mods. Would have saved a TON of money and time. This is going to be so overkill that it isn't funny. Probably going to smoke my trans in short order if I abuse it.

Forged crank (Scat), GN1 aluminum heads, 212/212 roller cam, etc.

Yep. Bought a while back from GNXJohn with other stuff. I will want to put AC on it eventually, but the budget has been pretty well maxxed so far.