You can type here any text you want

Opinions: Trans creep of 3 step, which technique do you use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

karolko

Hello Everyone,

I can't think of which area this is better posted, so I chose here since this is mainly a function of aftermarket ecu's (in my case XFI)

After finally getting to the track for the first time, I had my car setup for a 3 step staging/launch technique:

1)light one bulb, footbrake and throttle as much as possible,
2) slowly release the brake and creep into the 2nd bulb, hit the transbrake and mash the throttle and let go of the brake
3) release and go

Now I am nowhere near being an experienced racer, but I am wondering if you guys prefer using this setup compared to using the trans creep setup on the XFI units.

I guess which is easier, faster to spool, less likely to screw up, etc.

I know some of you racers have tried both setups, just hoping to hear your thoughts on both setups.

All the best,

Adrian Karolko

It depends on how easy your turbo is to spool. If it's a quick spooler, your technique will work fine. If you need a little extra time, the creep function may be best.

Well Cal what do you think will be the situation with the Stage motor and the new 76 turbo?

Just throwing idea out there.

Adrian

This?

" I had my car setup for a 3 step staging/launch technique:

1)light one bulb, footbrake and throttle as much as possible,
2) slowly release the brake and creep into the 2nd bulb, hit the transbrake and mash the throttle and let go of the brake
3) release and go"

Not exactly. The 3-step is an additional rev-limiter that allows you to floor the car while on the footbrake. Basically, you floor the throttle during pre-stage and never let up until you cross the finish line. This rev-limiter is usually set lower than your launch rev-limit and is also set low enough where the brakes will hold.

Not exactly. The 3-step is an additional rev-limiter that allows you to floor the car while on the footbrake. Basically, you floor the throttle during pre-stage and never let up until you cross the finish line. This rev-limiter is usually set lower than your launch rev-limit and is also set low enough where the brakes will hold.

Do you do this through the MSD or the FAST ecu? I was going to hook a brake pressure sensor to one rev limit wire on the msd and the transbrake to the other rev limit wire and do what you suggested above. But looking at the FAST wiring, it looks like can do it there also but maybe that is for XIM type ign. Is there an advantage to one or the other.

The brake pressure sensor is going on the rear brakes, so when doing a burnout with the line lock on the front brakes the pressure sensor is open.

I use the Keep It Simple Stupid method, works great lol Sometimes you may not need all the fancy gadgets that are out there to be competitive and consistant. Do what you need to do for your setup.

I agree and I'm sure I won't need it for the 67mm turbo. I'm thinking with my motor I can roll into the lights at idle and still spool quick enough. :) But since I'm pulling wire I might as well go ahead and plan for it for a bigger turbo down the road.

I use the Keep It Simple Stupid method, works great lol Sometimes you may not need all the fancy gadgets that are out there to be competitive and consistant. Do what you need to do for your setup.

With a smaller turbo like yours that can be done easily. Big cam, Stage heads, 88mm turbos aren't always as easy to spool. I've seen more Buick races lost at the starting line than I have at the finish line, especially in TSO. The 3-step and trans-creep pretty much guarantee the racer is up on boost when he lights the second bulb. Most of my 10.5 turbo racers use a bump box or trans creep to hit the second bulb.
FWIW: Gary H, Willard B, Billy T, etc.. have combinations similar to the OP and they use a 3 step. Manny, Tony G, etc.. use the trans creep.

Back