You can type here any text you want

ordering new tires and wheels - feedback??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BetMinesFaster

Turbo LSX Trader
Hey guys, sittin down doing some math on tire size and rim selection, here is what I have decided to do, im open to feedback -

The setup - 1986 GN

-notched frame - rolled wheel wells
-HR bar with Eibach springs and Bilsteins - 12" LS1 brakes
-G-body parts tubulars with Eibachs and bilsteins and 1.250 bar
-Blazer spindles with C5 brakes

My tire and rim choices are as follows

-AR TT2's with black painted certers - 17x10 rear with 5.5 bs (spacers to fine tune)
-AR TT2's with black painted centers - 17x8 up front (any suggestions on bs?)
-Nitto 555R's 335/30zr18 rear and 225/45zr18 up front

Im just curious what you guys think as far as traction, looks and fitment? Any info or opinions welcomed, Thanks, Ryan

Hey guys, sittin down doing some math on tire size and rim selection, here is what I have decided to do, im open to feedback -

The setup - 1986 GN

-notched frame - rolled wheel wells
-HR bar with Eibach springs and Bilsteins - 12" LS1 brakes
-G-body parts tubulars with Eibachs and bilsteins and 1.250 bar
-Blazer spindles with C5 brakes

My tire and rim choices are as follows

-AR TT2's with black painted certers - 17x10 rear with 5.5 bs (spacers to fine tune)
-AR TT2's with black painted centers - 17x8 up front (any suggestions on bs?)
-Nitto 555R's 335/30zr18 rear and 225/45zr18 up front

Im just curious what you guys think as far as traction, looks and fitment? Any info or opinions welcomed, Thanks, Ryan

Some folks are running ten inch rims with 4.875 inches of backspacing with the stock frame. If your frame notching gave you at least 3/4 of an inch than you should be good with 5.5 inches of backspacing.

On the front, you want 4.5 inches of backspacing and you will be fine.

Check out Diaz 87s ride in this link: http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/261582-fitment-guide.html

He went with a pretty similar set up to what you are wanting (although in 17s)

I would also consider a 235 or 245 in the front. Some people car's rub with 245's, where others don't. I had the same 245s on two T's - they rubbed on one but not the other.

Im just hoping the 335's fit in the rear, its gonna be tight im sure but with a notch and rolled wells it should go! Thats what my friends ZO6 has so I had a good car to get accurate tire measurments off of, and the 555R's should hook like crazy!

I dont know about the 335's in the back with that offset. From what I figured out for my car with a 10" rim and 5.5 BS and brakes that push the wheel out 3/8", I think I can only run 315's. I dont know for sure becuase I dont have the rears on yet but if they work, please let us know. ------Jeremy

The frame will be notched and the wheel wells rolled BTW

you should be good with the 4.5" bs in front, mine rubbed with the stock brakes. Now I have 17" with a 4" bs with LS1 brakes up front with 245's, no problems.

I dont know about the 335's in the back with that offset. From what I figured out for my car with a 10" rim and 5.5 BS and brakes that push the wheel out 3/8", I think I can only run 315's. I dont know for sure becuase I dont have the rears on yet but if they work, please let us know. ------Jeremy

The frame will be notched and the wheel wells rolled BTW

Im still working on the frame, prob will not know if they fit till mid winter:frown:

Im still working on the frame, prob will not know if they fit till mid winter:frown:

I hear you on that one! I have been working on my darn car for what seems like an eternity. I hope to be working on the frame before winter but it'll probably end up being springtime at the rate I'm going! Well, please keep us all posted and I will do the same. I'm using BellTech rear springs in the rear of my car and they seem to drop the car 1.5". I'm not positive but I believe the Eibach rears drop an inch right? I may end up mini tubbing the wheel wells for future wider tires if I think I have enough room at the frame for 335's. I think the limiting factor with lower springs is going to be the wheel well. Any thoughts on this?

I just ordered a set of 17x8 ZR1 hyper black replica wheels from SLP at a sweet price. 4.5 inch backspacing for the gbody too. I'm gonna run 265 40's taken off the front from my Zo6 for the rears for now and 245 45 up front.

Tires

Nittos 555r are great looking tires but kinda of hard not as sticky as MT's . Have had 555R's, MT's and BFG drag radials and the MT's are the stickiest. You definately get alot more mileage out of the Nittos and can actually drive in the rain compared to the other 2. MT has a 345/35r/18 it's a 28" 13.5" and M&H has a 325/45r 17 and a 345 35r 18. Hope you get em to fit your car, it will look awesome with big fat tires and everything. Will be like that old Deep Purple song HighwayStar of the old Fireball album.

Id like to see a wider tire up front also. Otherwise, it looks like your on the right track.

Two concerns about the 335s... I dont know if they are going to work on a 10 inch rim? Being an 18 inch rim, I dont think that there is enough sidewall to squeeze them down on a 10 inch, I would assume that you are going to have to run at least 11 or 12 inch wide rim...

I dont know what your ride height is going to be, but I am also working on putting 335s under my GN. My ride height is going to be quite low, and after measuring quite a few times, I realized that it was going to take more than just a notch and a rolling of the lips. Im going to have to completely move my frame rails in!

I did my measuring on a Michelin PS2 335s, so I dont know if the tread and section width is any different than what you have, but I sure couldnt get them to fit with only a notch!!

Make sure you are measuring mounted width and not the loose tire width. There is going to be quite a difference.

Back