You can type here any text you want

Oxygen Sensor Removal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BRQuick

This is my first post so please bare with me. I have owned my 1986 Grand National for over 20 years and maintain it as needed but it is mainly stock. I took it to a friend who has an alignment shop to have all new bushings put in the under carriage. He noticed that it had a slight miss to it. He said that if he removed the oxygen sensor next to the Turbo that it idled perfect. Any suggestions?

If you disconnect (not remove) the O2 sensor, I believe the ecm will revert to open loop (no O2 sensor feedback/mixture adjustment) operation.... which is rich by default... which will smooth the idle compared to closed loop operation (which adjusts the mixture, for a 'supposed' balance between low emissions, fuel economy, and smooth idle). I think it will also set a malfunction code in the ecm and turn the check-engine lite on also. If your 'mainly stock' car is still running the stock chip, or older performance chip, you would be well advised to spend the $85 for a new chip from TurboTweak Home.... you will be amazed at the difference in the way the car starts, idles, and runs in general...... like a different car.... WAAAYYY better....

Was wondering if there is a particular chip that you would suggest. All that is done is a K & N filter, Fuel Pump Wiring Kit, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and Adjustable Wastegate. Running great all around and I am not interested in running in the 11's any time soon. Just clean up the idle. Thanks.
Just went on Turbotweak and saw that it is very specific to what you have done to your car and what you want it to do. Looks like the way to go. Will order one this week

If I recall correctly, the last time I replace an O2 sensor, I disconnected the connector, threaded the wire through the closed end of a wrench, then slid the wrench down the wire to the sensor. This enabled me to have a good solid grip on it without risk of rounding it off. Mine came off fairly easily

9 times out of 10 is something simple so I would check plugs,wire etc.:cool:

If it's been in there awhile, another thing that will help it come out easier is to let the engine run for a few minutes first so the bugger header and sensor heat up...
Shut the engine off, and then do the steps you recall doing the last time...but don't burn yourself...:D

When was the last time the O2 sensor was changed? If never then it probably wouldn't hurt to replace it. Have had them go bad in my TTA and it hardly ever is driven. Let it heat up as stated a bit and it will come out easier.

For chips, if your running an old chip, no one mentioned the timing is wayyy too high in the orginal and the early aftermarket chips for todays gas.
I think the stock chip ran well over 24 degrees at WOT..been so long since I look at one...today about 19 degrees is max for a stocker..unless you still run 13# boost...been a long time since I only ran that too :)

Turbo Tweak has the chips down.

And welcome to the board...I've been a member since before the date shown due to the great server crash of 2001 all that was erased :D And I guess it will be 20 years ago this month that I got my GN!

Back