painting the block (prep?)

Getting ready to paint my block. What sort of prep work should I do to get it clean before painting it? What kind of paint should I use.

I've taken the heads off but the engine is still internally together?

I just did the second cote on my block earlier today using POR's engine enamel ... see Engine Enamels

No special prep needed just clean properly and degrees the block, instructions on their web site.

I did 2 coates in black and looks great comes on easy and loads of color pigments so thicker than normal spray paint.

No paint on the surface where the starter sits, VIN code face and any machined areas for gaskets.

Hope this helps

Thanks Jan I am going to give that stuff a shot see how it goes. I think I am going to try the marroon out and paint the block and heads to match the car colour.

POR's stuff is nice and holds up great. let us know how you like it and how it turns out.

I'm pretty hopefull, paint went on really well and looked good even after the first coating I did yesterday did a second coating today just to make sure it covered properly and looks great. Got plenty of paint left so the pint is more than enough to do 1 engine and heads.

I'll snap some photos and post when mine is properly dry. Hopefully will last for years to come.