Past owner ruined seats of GN in "upholstery project" - I Hate stupid people

l3lue

The owner before me for some reason decided to use sticky back black fabric and cut it out like a 2 year old and stick them to the front seat bottoms of my 87GN, I hit it with a heat gun and peeled off the fabric he stuck on to find the original seats not torn just a little dirty, but now problem is they're really sticky and nasty because of his little upholstery project. Does anyone have any tips to try to remove this sticky residue from the fabric he stuck on there?? I really CANNOT believe someone would purposely ruin the factory interior of this car the way this guy did..unbelievable !

09ea13cf2fc388bfa5f958bfeb4662ce.jpg
picture is worth 1000 words

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Might try some dry cleaning solvent. I would take off the fabric and dry clean them. Can't hurt.

That's a shame. Sorry to see that.

It could be worse. Try buying a car that some ghetto retard added an alarm, remote start, and a stereo system that sounds like an elephant farting when the base pumps.

Try sorting that out! After finding 20 lbs of spaghetti and hundreds of important wires cut or damaged......all you want to do is track down the original owner and execute him!

You know, it may sound crazy but you can try taking the seat out and spraying it down with brake-clean. Then suds it up with Dawn dish soap and a hard bristle brush. After that, hose it off. It will be soaked for a while but it will dry nicely if left out in the sun. I did this to my old original bench seat years ago. And it looked damned good when I was done.

Carbon Tetrachloride if you can find it. :cool:

And of course it's a bit poisonous, but works. o_O

You need to take the seat out and the separate the bottom cushion from the seat back. From there you need to remove all of the hog rings holding the seat cover to the frame and seat "bun". It takes time but it is not as hard as it sounds. You will need to buy new hog rings and hog ring plyers to reassemble it. You can get these on EBay. Check out some YouTube videos to learn some basics of automotive upholstery.

X2 on goof off .... but I would remove the fabric from the cushion first

This might come as a surprise, but WD-40 is great at removing grease and adhesive residues without harming the cloth. It's a tad slow-acting so spray some on, brush it in lightly with a toothbrush, let it sit a few minutes, then see how much will come out with another brush and hot water with Dawn dish soap in it. The results might surprise you.

I've removed minor grease stains from cloth car seats before with WD-40, and used it to remove sticker residues from car bodies, such as when I removed the fugly puffy-sticker "GXP" badges from my '08 Torrent from the fenders and tailgate.

WD-40 is also FANTASTIC for removing white wax residues from your GN. I had decades of white wax residues in various nooks and crannies on my GN from all the years my father washed & waxed it. It came off in seconds with WD-40 and a toothbrush. Just make sure to take it to the car wash and re-wax it afterwards.

Last edited: