You can type here any text you want

PC help...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
While checking e-mail, I got bombarded w/ at least 100 incoming "hits". They were all e-mails notifying me of failed deliveries of mail I never sent. Some in Japanese, spanish, etc, most in english.
I use Mailwasher to filter this crap, B4 it is ever downloaded.
The ?s are:
1. How does this "stuff" get into my inbox??
2. Is it crap that some moron is sending by using a hacker tool to get my addy?
3. Any better way to stop this, other than screening all mail, w/ Mailwasher, B4 I download it?
4. Does this intrusion indicate a virus, bug, worm, in the system?

UPDATE!
Just got 121 more. I previewed several, and find all are being addressed to various names, all at my website, codymotorsports.com.:mad:
Looks like I'll just have to remove e-mail contact on the site????

I get way more spam than that every day.

At this point, your email address is out there and removing it isnt going to do much for you. Id suggest installing and training Popfile. It's remarkably accurate for filtering spam once you get it trained.

Here's a link to Popfile

Here's my stats.. not too bad.

Messages classified: 27,660
Classification errors: 45

Accuracy: 99.83%

45 errors out of almost 28,000 emails.. not too shabby.

Thanks all, for the help. I just got 829 more! I've set the trash trap on Mailwasher to filter this.
we are going to change the website contact setup, so only mail from certain sources can be received.

There are two types of bad bounce messages

Ones actually generated by an email server, but for an email message that you did not send. Delete the message and forget about it. Many viruses proliferate by emailing themselves with fraudulent FROM addresses. If you are the victim of this, there is nothing you can do. You may also get a real message from a real email server complaining that you sent an email message with a virus in it. Most likely you did not. Instead the virus sent out many copies of itself from someone else's computer using a forged FROM address and you are as much a victim as the recipient.

More serious is when a virus or worm sends a message that appears to be a normal bounce message but is fraudulent. In this case, there will be an attached file and a phony story in the body of the message that tries to trick you into opening the attached file. Don't! Delete the message

it looks like some spammer is spoofing your e-mail address-that is, they're putting your e-mail address in the "From" section so it looks like the spam is from someone within your organization and thus is more likely be read.

You can look at implementing a SPF record for your domain. Problem is that the receiver needs to check for SPF records for it to work and not all email gateways do.

SPF: Project Overview

Back