You can type here any text you want

Pete Rose on The Factor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Should Pete Rose be reinstated

• Yes - He's paid enough and deserves to be in the Hall of Fame

Votes: 17 45.9%
  • No - He knew the rules and broke them anyway

Votes: 20 54.1%

• Total voters
shoeless joe jackson got hosed, his stats for that series were outstanding. and he had no errors.

Originally posted by TT/A1233
So the longstanding league rule that says "GAMBLING ON BASEBALL WILL RESULT IN A PERMANENT BAN FROM THE GAME" is meaningless? If that's the case what's the point in having those rules if they're meaningless?

"GAME" not "HALL OF FAME" if there were a "hall of fame baseball game" or a "hall of fame league" the he should not play in those, but there is not. "meaningless rules" like "killing people" and using a "corked bat in a major league game"

His indignance has led him to where he is today. At this point to let him in, and that's what it is.....let him in, is an insult to the rule abiding members of the Hall of Fame. Drew:(

Originally posted by Anthony K
"GAME" not "HALL OF FAME" if there were a "hall of fame baseball game" or a "hall of fame league" the he should not play in those, but there is not. "meaningless rules" like "killing people" and using a "corked bat in a major league game"
Well, it's league rules that if you're banned from the "game" you're also barred from the hall of fame. Not my rules, it's theirs and Pete knew them ALL.

Not sure what you mean by "killing people" but if there were a rule banning people for life for using a corked bat then guess what....they should be banned for life.

You guys want to take a very clear cut rule which states Thou shall not gamble on baseball or you'll be banned for life. He gambled on baseball for 10+ years and got caught, he's banned for life. Now some want to nullify the rule because he was a great player. What's the point in such a stiff penalty if it's not enforced? Change the rule if you don't like it.

Major League Baseball - "Let's make some rules with really stiff penalties in the hopes no one will break them. But if someone does, we won't enforce them since we really didn't mean it in the first place" :rolleyes:

Originally posted by TurboTer No kidding.

I wouldn't kid a Jedi! Really! It's true! He didn't get charged for gambling as many think!

I was referring to an earlier post anyway.

Originally posted by turbo
I wouldn't kid a Jedi! Really! It's true! He didn't get charged for gambling as many think!

I was referring to an earlier post anyway.

Hehehe, I know. Him and other team members were banned because of the 1919 "Black" Sox scandal. Still, his stats speak for themselves. He was a truely outstanding player. His lifetime average was one of the highest ever. Much, much higher than Rose's.

My bad on the Shoeless Joe Jackson being in the hall of fame statement.

However, please tell me what is worse.

Pete Rose betting on baseball games, or Ty Cobb assaulting black groundskeepers, and other players?

Also, it is common knowledge people such as Daryl Strawberry and Dwight Gooden were coked up while playing baseball.

Why do they get away with such behavior?

Back