Pic of custom door pods for '87 GN

Audiowizard

CARE FOR A SMOKE ANYONE?
Staff member
These are set that I completed for a board member (Scott) :) for his '87 GN. They house a set of Infinity Kappa 6.5 components complete with new black carpeting on lower door panels and the vinyl dyed to match the GN interior. Here is a link to the pics at allabouspeed.com :

Custom door pods for '87 GN

Very nice work!!

Just a question...(or 2..lol)

How come you decide to use the door panels as the source for the main stereo image? Wouldnt it basically be obstructed by the drivers or passengers legs? Why not the kick panels? I realize that large drivers take up space, but what about smaller drivers in the kicks and a midbass in the door?

I have 5.25 Kappa components in q-forms,powered by my McIntosh, and the image is very good, but lacks the low end of a 6.5 setup. Have you ever thought of doing a 4" component set in kicks (to save foot space) and using a 6.5 or something similar in the doors to handle the lower freq's? Im sure with some clever crossover"ing" that the stereo image would remain good, and would gain the "bass upfont" that alot of systems lack?

BTW, how is the front end on your GN coming?

Re: Very nice work!!

Originally posted by SilverSleeper
"How come you decide to use the door panels as the source for the main stereo image?"

I did these for Scott because he wanted a set of pods like mine and he also had the concert II. I chose the door pods for mine because I have the 1", 4", and 5.25" a/d/s componets and wanted the full range spectrum and had the room in the doors as opposed to the kick panels (leg and foot room).

"Wouldnt it basically be obstructed by the drivers or passengers legs?"

There is a slight obstruction but since I retired from the competition circuit and I rarely have anyone in the passenger seat (no obstruction), I actually have very decent staging and imaging.

"Why not the kick panels?"

Foot and leg room! I will figure out something because the kick area is the ideal place for drivers.

"I realize that large drivers take up space, but what about smaller drivers in the kicks and a midbass in the door?"

"I have 5.25 Kappa components in q-forms,powered by my McIntosh, and the image is very good, but lacks the low end of a 6.5 setup. Have you ever thought of doing a 4" component set in kicks (to save foot space) and using a 6.5 or something similar in the doors to handle the lower freq's? Im sure with some clever crossover"ing" that the stereo image would remain good, and would gain the "bass upfont" that alot of systems lack?"

The 4" components is an excellent idea for the kicks becasue I have been thinking of how to do this for maximum foot and leg room. I had planned on doing the kicks eventually but I am unsure if I am going to do the mid-bass in the doors and or kicks.

"BTW, how is the front end on your GN coming?"

Its all assembled. all I have to do is paint the hood and I am finished. I will post pics when I get finished :). I may snap a pic today with the front of car done and the hood unpainted. BTW, Thanks for the compliments on door pods.

Danster, I will send you an e-mail on price :).

HOW MUCH!!!!!:) Just curious, i would like to do away with the factory 31/2 and just use a component set...sound like a good idea??

Originally posted by PowerV6
HOW MUCH!!!!!:) Just curious, i would like to do away with the factory 31/2 and just use a component set...sound like a good idea??

You will improve what you have going with the kick or door panel pods with a quality set of component drivers. I will send you an e-mail on price :) .

SilverSleeper:

Within the next several weeks I will be doing just what you are describing. I am about to get the JL XR653CSi 3-way comp set. The tweet and 4" will be in kicks and the 6.5" will be in the doors (vented into the door, with the door being completly sealed and deadened).

Right now I have 6.5" and tweet in kicks....and NO leg room. lol The kick just clears the brake pedal.

As with the last install, I will be providing lots of pics. :)

Originally posted by Audiowizard

You will improve what you have going with the kick or door panel pods with a quality set of component drivers. I will send you an e-mail on price :) .

Sounds good, im interested, if not now then in the future, if you would send me MORE pics, close ups and such, just curious if you are going to Bristol tennessee in september...then i could see it firsthand...looks like your in texas, doesnt hurt to ask though

I am looking into pricing on compont sets and it would be cheaper and more cost effective to go with a component set rather than 2 5 and 1/4's and 2 3 1/2's....i really do not want to waste my time with the 31/2's...or should i get a compnent set like in the picture with a decent set of 3 1/2's also....i doubt i would be able to power the 2 3 1/2's and the compnents effectively without an amp, i currently am powering everything by a kenwood mp3 player...50x4...in my opinion it sounds like ****, all factory speakers...nothing blown though, i just am looking into all my alternatives before i jump into it and the have to backtrack and choose something which i should have chosen in the beginning....

Originally posted by mcss383
Just get a component set. For sound quality, simpler is better. PLus, 3.5" just suck. :p

Couldnt agree more!

Danster, Power V6, sent you both e-mails to your inquiries :cool: .

Eddie,
Those look like the panels you sent pictures of before starting on mine, correct??? I'm just waiting on pics of mine.
:D :D

mcss383 & SilverSleeper, Audiowizard is working on my panels now. I have a huge 6 1/2" going in my panels to get a strong upper sub-bass & low mid-bass sound in my front image. The kicks with the 5 1/4" and tweeter will handle the staging (I hope).;) I'm using a Linear Power DPS 500 on the mid-bass drivers and a Linear Power Q50 on the kicks. This combo should rock.

I do agree that the factory dash location is the pits.

John

Yupper!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by 6APPEAL
Eddie,
Those look like the panels you sent pictures of before starting on mine, correct???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, those are Scotts. Yours will be slightly shorter (length wise) since I am installing your 6.5" only. I am going to make sure I seal it the best I can since it will be playing lower frequencies. I am also using the Harley Davidson seat upholstery vinyl for yours like i did Scott's :) .