You can type here any text you want

Pics of the race car....getting closer!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Let the clutch fun begin!

I want to see the headers for this thing! It is looking awesome, Bill. I can't wait to see it run. Why did you decide on the single, by the way? Is it just so you can run more race classes, or do you think you'll make more power than with the twins?

I looked at the rules for NMCA Limited Street early in the season; they were going to allow twins for V6s only. I haven't kept up the remainder of the year, though.

All I can say is WOW!!! That turbo looks BIG!

I too, may be running some NMCA races this year. My car isn't really set up for it (500 lbs heavy!) but Limited Street looks fun.

Thanks!!!

Bill,

I feal like christmas came early this year.
Your car is almost exactly how my car was going to be.
I sold mine before I got married so maybe I can live vicariously through you. The PT-98 you are running is the biggest single I have seen on a buick. I can not wait to see that thing run.
Are you going to dyno it? You should be in the 1600 range for sure. I would love to see Bill in Pro Outlaw!!!

Cal,

I would love to see you run in limited street.
have you emailed Patrick Bud about the rules and your car?
Your car is what my next project is. Maybe I will finish it while petroleum based fuels are still legal.

I am sure the clutch will be a hassle, it will be a learning curve. Sooner or later I'll figure it out or take it to someone who can!!
Kendall, I went with a big single mainly because everyone has twins now. I put twins on mine in 96 and I know I am not the pioneer but only a couple people had tried this at the time (Ken Dut., Pete Barton, Pete Bernard, and probably a couple others in the beginning. You had to have twins to make the power. The technology has advanced on the singles and I know I can make more horsepower with 1 big turbo. The problem has always been spooling a large single or big twins. This turbo will NEVER come up with an auyomatic, it will be INSTANT boost with the clutch. Just something different. I doubt there will be any copies of this for a while. The thing will run if I get the clutch dialed in. It is 1200# lighter, full 25.1 chromoly chassis (certified to faster than 7.50's) with strut front end. I have more power, a liquid intercooler and the Liberty.
The car will be legal for NMCA Pro Outlaw. I have some goals to meet with it and while it may not happen in the first season, it will eventially get there.
I will post some more pics as I go along on my own site when it is up and running.
Thanks Guys,
Bill

Bill, if you don't mind me asking do those goals include 6 seconds and 200mph??:D

BTW John, I thought the biggest single used on a Buick was Dale Cherry and his PT-100mm turbo:confused:

86 Brick,

You may have gotten me with my own information =)
I am not sure the the PT-98 is 98mm.
I thought it was the 100mm with the smaller turbine housing.
Just the housing can be worth 200hp on the 100mm units.
My good friend went 7.5 @ 186 with the 100mm and the smaller housing @ 25PSI.

Originally posted by John Wilde
86 Brick,

You may have gotten me with my own information =)
I am not sure the the PT-98 is 98mm.
I thought it was the 100mm with the smaller turbine housing.
Just the housing can be worth 200hp on the 100mm units.
My good friend went 7.5 @ 186 with the 100mm and the smaller housing @ 25PSI.

WOW! Wish I could make 200 more HP by simply changing the housing on my little TE-44;) Either way (98mm or 100mm) that is one HUGE Ferris wheel of a turbo! It's crazy to think that Reiger's new Duttweiler built 525ci BBC motor has twin 100mm turbos:eek:

The clutch is the way to go, that's for sure. If you set things up right, spoolup is instant. We have Scott's car going from 0 to 30 PSI in half a second.

The problem you mainly run into with the clutch stuff is that it's different for every application. When we started doing our own clutch work after parting ways with our clutch guy, we were working with a clutch tuneup the clutch manufacturer had given us. It wasn't even close. So, you're best to tackle it on your own. Paying someone else who even if they have a good working knowledge of clutches probably wont get you very far. LC told me it took him well over a year to figure his clutch out. It's been about 6 months for us but I suspect we are racing way more than LC does.

I feel like now we're very, very close with our clutch tuneup. The general feeling is we could slip it a tad more to get better 60 foot times (Only doing 1.25-1.28s) but we seem to have it nailed once the car gets out of the hole. The biggest problem is that once the clutch comes on in third gear, the car just gets stupid. We're in the process of recentering/resetting the rear to make sure we didnt miss anything when we put the car back together..

It's defintely the way to go, though.. we ran some 5.20s Sunday at 105mph or so.. lifting about 400 feet... 1/8th mile of course :)

What is even more crazy is that he never really made full passes with the car and it is for sale and he is out of racing.

Learn something new everyday....

John, what the hell happened?!:confused: If you have any info and you don't mind sharing it (I can understand if you don't want to say anything about the man's personal life or business), please fill me in on why he's selling the car and is out of racing! I know he never made any real passes cause I remember hearing that he ran a 6.94, but this was not even a full pass and the car should have been a LOT faster considering the motor made some sick # like 2,600hp and the fact that his '57 Chevy was a Pro Mod car that was expected to be the first doorslammer in the 5's.... I'm really sorry to hear that cause I thought it was great how he and Duttweiler were kicking ass and taking names!

Thanks for the info anyhow John!:)

Later, Steve

Steve,

I am not totally sure what happened.
I know that he dropped at least one valve
at the Orlando race. He said that the car was
not ready to come out and that they had guessed
wrong on the turbine housings.

Here is an article I saved:

It’s Official – Bob Rieger quits again
(11-18-2002) - Speculation regarding the future of three-time Pro Street champion turned Pro Mod turbo crusader Bob Rieger was put to rest today as the California native announced to CompetitionPlus.com that as of four o’clock Monday Afternoon, November 18, he was “officially retired from drag racing.”
Rieger, whose switch to the Pro Modified ranks prior to the 2002 season, and his subsequent mid-season defection in order to pursue a turbocharger program, garnered more than his share of headlines during the course of the year. Just last month, he spent several days in Bradenton, Florida testing his turbo powered ’57 Chevrolet, but his appearance a week later at the World Streetnationals in Orlando would prove to be his last hurrah.
“I have been struggling with this decision for quite a while now, to tell the truth,” Rieger said. “There are a lot of factors involved here, not the least of which is the simple fact that I just want to do other things now – I want to spend more time with my wife, travel and have some fun. After five years of drag racing, I have no regrets at all.
“I guess the last straw was that in spite of the fact that I worked for most of the year to land a major sponsor for my operation, it just never happened. In the long run, I just got tired of the expense, the demand on my time and the headaches. As of now all of my equipment is at Tim McAmis’ shop in Missouri, where it’s all being inventoried. Tim, who built the car, will be acting as my agent, and he’ll sell everything for me.
I have taken care of the crew guys who helped me so well be getting them set up in a new business, so as of today I’m out of the game – the decision is final. I’ll be issuing a statement in the near future so that I can publicly recognize all the fans, racers and people who have helped me out along the way. It’s been a great ride, but my wife and I have just bought a beautiful piece of land overlooking the Pacific, and I’m going to concentrate most of my energy now on building our new house and taking life easy”

Here is the link to the stuff for sale.
http://www.timmcamis.com/rieger_sale_list.html

Thanks again for the info John!

From the sounds of it he got burned out from all the expenses, time, and the problems that go along with being a serious pro drag racer like he was.... Basically his priorities changed!

I hope somebody buys the car as it is with the TT BBC Duttweiler built motor and races it in Pro Mod, but from looking at the site it looks like it is being parted out (Pro Mod car, motor, tranny, etc. sold separately).... It's a shame IMO because that car (Pro Mod '57 Chevy) with that Duttweiler TT BBC gas motor had a LOT of potential and would have most likely opened up doors for other turbo gas cars looking to run with the alcohol blower boys and it would have probably been in the 5's with some time and tweaking!

R.I.P. Pro Mod '57 Chevy with the crazy TT BBC Duttweiler motor:(

Steve,

The motor made closer to 2800hp =)
Also Duttweiler's Dnyo is not happy like some of the
other shops out there.

Jay-C,

Are you guys going to update the meankids site with some information now that you have the car racing?
I would love to see an update.

Yea.. Ill have to get some new pictures. I dont think I have any since we converted the car over to an air shifter. Making a Lenco air shift, BTW is a nightmare. There are so many gizmos and do-dads on this car, I think we added 100lbs back in wire making them all work.

We may take the car back out on Sunday if the weather holds. Hopefully we have everything squared up and aligned and the car will go straight. That will probably be the last time it's out for the year.. after that we're going to make some changes. Get some of the tin work redone, fix some fit problems.. I might rewire the car as Im not real happy with how the final product turned out wiring wise.

work work work... that’s all I do on my car :) it spent 2 days at the alignment shop earlier this week and according to them its was way the hell off… so its either going to go right or left or straight… so we will see… we have been fighting this new setup for about 2 months and I think we are finally getting a hold on what is going on… Like Jay mentioned on the short times we are in the 1.25-27 range and I really can’t be upset with that. I am sure they will get better as I move the air gap around and find the sweet spot. If we can get in the teens I will be impressed. I got to weight the car again and it is 2960 with me in it. I have to be 3000-3100 to race in some of the local stuff… so if we can run teens at 3K that will be nice. With our new found power (LOL no comment :) and more aggressive suspension and clutch setup the car had become a handful to drive, even more than the ride in OK earlier this year. Last weekend it ran 3.29 to the 330’ at 113mph – I had to lift or I was going to take the marker out… interesting pass to say the least – it ran a 5.20 something at 105 mph. Prior to that the car had been a best of 1.27 to the 60’ and a 3.51 to the 330’ and 5.26 in the 1/8th this was at 3550lbs. My guess is that I feathered the brakes when it made the move to the right but who knows – I had both hands on the wheel trying to get in back in the groove so pulling the shoot and staying on the gas was out of the question. I hope to make a few full passes this weekend if it goes straight or not… and then get it cleaned up and looking nice for next season - it is definitly a new animal. I definitely think that the clutch is the way to go – there is a huge learning factor and a maintenance issue but once the clutch is locked and you are 1:1 – hold the hell on cause it is a ride –

Those pictures look good Bill - I hope you make it to BG with it – you never know…it may come down to the race of the manuals.

take care,

Winsett
www.meankidsracing.com

Back