Ping! Ping! Ping! Ping!

RegalonRoidz

'86 GN Hardtop.
So i installed an adjustable fuel regulator a few months ago and ive been playing with the fuel pressure up and down. If i run it low on about 25-30 pounds of fuel the car screws down the street but im looking at 16-18 degress on my scanmaster. way to melt my valves right ? so i richened it up to like 60pounds of fuel. (my fuel pumps good for about 80 i think) and the car boggs but i have no knock. im currenty running the car at 55lbs baseling on 15pounds of boost. stock turbo. i installed the RJC powerplate last week and the knock has been reduced and it is like my scanmaster is locked on zero, but im still getting 3-5 degress of knock at shiftpoints.

I think i need some tuning advice or something i had an opportunity to stage the car from a standstill on a local straight rd and i let her out of the hole staging at 5psi. the car took off like crazy and my boost gauge was reading 17-18psi (ive never gotten the cars boost that high as i havent made any adjustmennts to the wastegate since i set it for 15.) I also got a readout for 14.5 retard degrees. Pretty much what im saying is i thought i had the knock situation under control but today when i opened her up the scanmaster reading was waay higher than it has been since i installed the plate.

Sombody help me before i blow a head gskt. (both me and my car)

Fuel pressure should be set at about 42 psi (vac line off). You WILL hurt something running your FP that low and trying to run any boost.....

Fuel pressure tuning????? Welcome to the 1980's :rolleyes:

Yes, you do need tuning help. Fuel pressure tuning is not the way to go. Set your fuel pressure and 43-45# static (vacuum line off) and leave it there.

Then we need to figure out why there's so much detonation. Your's is dangerously high, and if you keep go WOT with it that bad, you're going to be taking out head gaskets at the very least and probably a crankshaft and rods.

Since we know absolutely NOTHING about your car, it'll be hard to help until you clew us in on your setup and state of tune.

The Ping, Ping, Ping, Ping is definatly NOT GOOD! Take the advise of these guys and set the fuel pressure and then i would put some race gas in ..;)

Take the car to Cotton's, B4 U drive over the crank???:rolleyes:

Good advice. You should not need to be more than 5 psi + or - 43.5 psi on the baseline setting unless you have the wrong chip in there. Get a turbo tweak chip. Do not drive your car WOT till you do these things or you will break it for sure because your all over the place with your tuning.

I had a similar problem last winter with my 87. I bought all kinds of stuff, FP reg. Alky, Alky Chip, Injectors, the list goes on trying to tune my car and get it running right. I would have the exact same thing happen it would run fine under normal conditions, but when I romped on it I would get off the wall knock anywhere from 5 degrees up to 35 one time (I know that is huge!) I went to the airport one time and got on it to merge and there was TERRBILE pinging, really audible. But sometimes it was ok. I talked to alot of guys on here who helped me out tremedously and finally brought it to a friend mechanic who told me it was valvetrain noise. So i pulled the motor and sure enough the rockers had gone bad allowing the pushrods to slap around in their guides. the pushrods were worn pretty bad and you could tell they were flyin around in there. Im just about done the rebuild and ready for her to go back in soon. Is it possible that yours isnt a tuning problem but maybe a mechanical problem that is just starting to show up? HTH and good luck!
-Andrew