Piston Rings

kev

I've tried search but only gives 2 results.

What're the best stock replacement rings?

And crankshaft bearings?

I can get parts at business discounts from O'Reilly/Kragen, Auto zone & General Auto Parts.

So if I can get em from any of these places it'd be great.

Gonna be putting my engine together soon so any help is needed! Thanks
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That is a question that has not 'best' answer. Since you're asking the question, I'm going to assume that you're messing with a basic rebuild with no cutting edge redesigning.... That being said, I'd recommend some plain ole federal mogul moly rings, A-series bored aluminum bearings. Get the rod bearings for a 96 park ave with a 3800. They're wider and have more loading area. The fast food parts houses sell all those parts but I believe northernautoparts is cheaper even with the commercial discounts.

Make sure to do all the oiling mods before the block gets the galley plugs and cam bearings installed and hone the cylinder walls for whatever rings you choose.

Thanks for the info Earl. I know there isnt a "best" answer. What I was trying to ask was what ppl found to work best for them.

Any more info will help!

When it comes to bearings, any name brand bearing that has correct clearances and makes a round hole will pretty much work. With rings, the final finish on the bore is more important than what rings you choose. They have to match each other.

What finishing hone would be used
Stone style or dingle ball ??
what grit ??? Moly rings !!!

The surface finish/ring material issue is not one that can be done with a drill. The type of ring material dictates what angle the crosshatch should be. If your doing a dingle-ball (my preferance) shoot for around 45 degrees on the crosshatch. Slow drill speed and quite rapid up/down movement. Go with the plasma moly and you should be fine. As far a seating the rings ask 5 people and you will get 5 different ways. The bottom line I have found is once it it warmed up about 3-5 psi for a couple of pulls and they will be seated. Just my .02

Make sure to do all the oiling mods before the block gets the galley plugs and cam bearings installed and hone the cylinder walls for whatever rings you choose.

can you give a rookie some insight as to what oiling mods need to be done before the galley plugs and cam bearings go in?????? pretty please... :)