Plasma or LCD??????????????

fatride

I'm looking into new tvs. I have looked at the plasmas and LCD's. Guys who have these what has the best picture??? All the ones I looked at I thought the LCD's had a better picture. The Plasmas were very fuzzy to me. But the color was more defined though. I did ask all the stores and all the tv's were hooked up too the same cable. I need opinions on this please...
Thanks

yeah, looking in the store isnt good usually due to the degradation or whatever.

Is burn-in or pixel memory an issue anymore?

If you have the $$$ look into the Sony Grand Vega rear projection LCD. I believe it is a triple LCD projector and it is much clearer than a standard LCD TV. My boss has one and the picture quality is very sharp. The "screen door" effect that you see on most LCD's is so minimal that you have to be about a foot away from the screen to see it.

Keep in mind, LCD is a much more reliable technology than Plasma given it's proven history and no gas.

Have the Sony Wega 42" rear LCD and love it so far. All you will want to watch though is the HD channels. :biggrin:

I have a 60'' lcd grand vega and I love it! I looked at a lot of tv's and found that the sony's picture was the clearest. But any picture will look fuzzy if you do not get high def from your cable or sattalite provider. I highly recomend the vega but I would also look into DLP's.

Plasma for me.

I believe the pioneer plasmas are the way to go. I was at Sears and me and my lil girl ditched the wife and headed for the T.Vs and after lookin and comparing for about 20 minutes, I thought the Pioneer was the sharper of all the Plasmas, and even the phillips plasmas and some other off brand plasma for a lil over a grand had a better picture then the LCDs. I also heard that the picture fade thing attributed to the plasmas are a thing of the past. Oh yeah one of my buddies recently said there was a new technology (not sure what its called) about to come out, so u might want to hang on a bit more.

Brer Rabbit said:
.... Oh yeah one of my buddies recently said there was a new technology (not sure what its called) about to come out, so u might want to hang on a bit more.

I believe he might be talking about Carbon nanotube technology that Motorola had in the news last year. I don't know when they are supposed to come out but they say it supposed to have the performance of a CRT tube but is in a flat panel. I believe they also said that the cost would be similar to current CRT projection tv's

here's a link
http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/news/detail/0,1958,2981_2436_23,00.html

HTH
David

Hey Nick, How's it going. You might want to go out to the AVS forum and smoke over their Plasma and LCD forum. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ LOTS of GOOD info out there!! It's really a matter of preference and $$$. :biggrin: I like the Plasma picture better but don't have the $$ for the size I want, 60in. I've been looking and researching LCD's and have narrowed it down to these 2 models.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...eo&CategoryName=tv_hdtv_projectiontv_55"to80"

http://www.samsung.com/Products/TV/DLPTV/HLR6768WXXAA.asp

Both of these are 1080p HDTV's with a Native Resolution: 1920 x 1080 . The Sony hase a 13,300 contrast ratio and the Samsung has a 10,000 contrast ratio. Both have awesome deep black levels. They both have HDMI connections for a pure digital connection.

But hey you might not want something that big or maybe something bigger. Lot's of stuff to consider.

Thanks guys!!! My budget will be up to $3,000, I figure I can get something half decent. I have alot of research to do..............
Thanks again, Nick

fatride said:
Thanks guys!!! My budget will be up to $3,000, I figure I can get something half decent. I have alot of research to do..............
Thanks again, Nick

I'm with Mike and Mark, just bought the Sony Grand Wega....... 42". We love it cost around 1700, kicked in a Harmon - Kardon receiver and surround sound system........ absolutely awsome. I'd much rather watch TV now than battle in the IC core wars........ :cool: We first bought the Sony sound system, didn't like it..... brought it back. When it was all said and done, purchased tv, stereo surround sound and good cables to hook up everything, cost around $3,000.

strikeeagle said:
Sony SXRD. 50, 55 or 60". Period.

strike

:)

Yes, you MUST BUY THE SONY SXRD if 3k is your budget. YOu can probably get the 50" for that price. I know because I"m watching mine right now that I paid 3200 for 2 months ago.

I'm not just talking out my butt. I researched TVs for months. I was torn between DLP, LCD, and PLasma. But when I saw the new SXRD TVs from Sony. (Not LCD but Silicon Crystal Reflective Display Technology) It has a picture better than most plasma TVs. The 70" version is the Qualia and it was 30k when it first came out and is now 12k.

Just go look, the other TVs won't compare. DLPs make me nervous because they have a spining color wheel with millions of tiny mirrors. Moving parts and TVs make me nervous.

Yes, there is a problem with burnt in images with Plasma TV's and not with LCD TV's. DLP TVs are great but Bishir already gave the down side to them.

I just got a 50" Sony sxrd the other day. Won't be able to take it out of the box for another month or so when we get the condo closer to finished.

It really depends what you want to do with it. Put it on a wall? Does it have to be slim? Plasma is better than LCD. It also burns alot more energy too.

If size is not an issue, listen to Strikeeagle and bishir. You won't find better than the SXRD. The colors are a little exaggerated and real fast scenes supposedly fail the flag waving test but just 1-Go to sears and then 2-Buy it.
I know that you want it quick but probably in 09/06 Sony will be making the SXRD with 1080P instead of 1080i, just in time for Playstation 3.

There is no perfect tv out right now. Type plasma vs lcd in google. There is a lot of info. I am hoping to get the SXRD when the 1080P tv comes out.

I periodically check the price of the Sony 50" HDTV (KDS-R50XBR1), the SXRD 1920 x 1080 version, on www.pricescan.com Has anyone purchased off of one of those on-line vendors? You can get this TV for under $2500 shipped, but I'm always leary of buying from a place it might be difficult to return the tv.

In my opinion the Sony SXRD has the best picture bar none for TV set. You would have to step up to a runco front projector to best it's picture and a lot more money. Runco front projectors start at $3400 and go to 200K. Runco plasmas are excellent as well.