Plug wire reccomendations?

FlaBoy

Just a good ole boy...
Hey guys, today I'm doing the whole "spring cleaning" deal on my new GN, and I was wondering if you guys had any reccomendations as far as plug wires. Will any set, so long as theyre a name brand and good quality do? Or are there a specific brand or 2 that are far and above better than the others?

You can't beat the price with Red Armstrong at Quad Air plug wires at $24.00. Here is his number (440)235-3232, Or you could get you a set of MSD plug wires at Summit Racing or Jegs for about $60.00.

I have always been a fan of Taylor Spiral Pros. Order them in Custom so you can cut the length to fit, plus you can choose from a bunch of different colors. I have used them for years on all of my cars with great logevity.

I just picked up a Custom fit set of Jacobs energy core spark plug wires specifically made for the 86/87 GN's. They are a nice medium blue color with the correct style boots (black). They were listed over on the GNTTYPE.org site in part# section (non GM parts). the part# is 401290. Look to be a nice set!

I run MSD super conductors and love them. One of the lowest resistance wires, and fit great.

I really dont like and had bad luck with the Magnacores
I now have the MSD and love them.

Reds wires fit the best but as far as durability I prefer the 10mm Magnacores a bunch of places sell them I think there around 80 bucks.

I noticed that when I bought a set from GM the boots were about 1/2" shorter than the factory ones which made grabbing the boot with your fingers a small chore.

I changed out my plugs & wires about 2 years ago. I used Bosch Platnium +2's and Napa Auto Parts Plug wires. They come with a lifetime warranty! Since then, the car idles smooth and she cranks right over!

Say what you want...but that combo really made a difference to my 87 GN.

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
I really dont like and had bad luck with the Magnacores
I now have the MSD and love them.

I agree, being the professional I am I pulled the boots off two right away.Yes, I did twist them around first.

I got them from Jack Cotton, never asked for replacements, but happended to mention them and he sent out two no charge!!!

What a guy. :D

:cool:

Ive also found with magnacores after removing them a few times they start to have to loose a fit on the plug and no longer snap on.

The boot sure sticks good...

I threw them in the used and abused cabinet when I switched to the MSD wires. You never know when one of the company trucks may need a spare.

:cool:

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
Ive also found with magnacores after removing them a few times they start to have to loose a fit on the plug and no longer snap on.

Never had long term luck with the Magnecores. I have had no problems with the MSD wires to date.

My Magnecores have been on salvageV6 about 6 1/2 years with no issues.

GN has them on there for 3 1/2 years now.

Great wires but for $70 I would hope the set would last 10 years.

Key is to use silicone dielectric paste everytime you take them off and put them back on.

Had Kenne-Bell wires on for 10 years until I ripped one of the boots off, they still make good test spares. :)

Anyone buy them from GM lately. The last set I bought the spark plug ends were 1/2" shorter than the factory ones. What's up with that, it's a pain to grab. I called GM today and they don't stock them so I'd have to order them but don't want to end up with the short plug ends again.

GM wires for the 87 GN must be using wires from another car because the spark plug boot ends calling for the GN are only 2.75" long. Too short compared to the factory wires. This makes it a bitch to grab. Guess they ran out of the factory part #. So what manufacturers have the long end as the factory ones?:mad: