You can type here any text you want

Polishing Aluminum Help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboSlacker

SINISTR
I'm trying to clean-up a used MAF pipe I have. I've stripped off the old paint and now am trying to smooth out the minor scratches.

What technique works best ? I've tried Tripoli with a 2000rpm electric drill, but it's not taking out the marks.
Is there a better air tool or something else to use ?

Dan, do you have a bench grinder? If so, then get a polishing wheel for it and use buffing compound. Works great.

First thing I would suggest is to start with 220 grit sand paper if the scratches are not to bad then once you get the blemishes out go to the next finest paper till you get to at least 2000 grit or even finer, (the finer the paper the finer the sanding scratches the better the polishing looks).

After you have done that then you can go to the polishing part. A reagular buffer will work if that is all you have, or a drill, I alway's like to hand polish after I use a machine I think it looks better.

I know it takes time this way but it comes out like BRIGHT chrome, I have done several swing arms and Honda dirt bike frames this way when I raced motorcross, and anything else I polish HTH

Dan, is it on your car now? If it isn't and you can drop it to me I've got the stuff to polish it up gooooood. I have never had the ability to use hand tools to polish something 'cause in order to get most of the blems out it requires some decent pressure and trying to hold the pipe and the tool at the same time is like asking to have the part stuck in your wall. Let me know. I also need to find a way to get Gene his lap-top stand that I'll be finishing this week.

ADUM

Dan, if you go to any Les Schwab they sell polish called "Heavy Metal" they make three grades
Red-Coarse
Green-Middle of the road
Blue-Fine

I've used the stuff on my many aluminum ATV parts and it really works good. The red stuff will take out scratches, and it will shine up very dull aluminum. The two other grades just make it shine even better. I've taken very dull aluminum ATV wheels that look like they were sand blasted, and this stuff will make them look like chrome again.

Adam,
The pipe is off the car. I'll take you up on it. I would appreciate learning from ya. Drop me an email turbo.huffman@verizon.net on when you're available. Thanks.

Dave,
Can I apply the Les Schwab stuff with the drill buffer or is a hand job ? (ooh, that didn't sound good)

Originally posted by HYBRIDT
I also need to find a way to get Gene his lap-top stand that I'll be finishing this week.

ADUM

Are you making more of these? I might be interested. Let me know.

Thanks,

Clayton

I think it's high time for good 'ol Adam to start a little side business. His creative designs and amazing craftsmanship would be very well received by the Turbo Buick community. Certainly couldn't hurt to make a little extra $ to make HybridT a little quicker :)

Back