Polishing or powdercoating

amazing paint...

phillyturbosix -

holy smoke that's a gorgeous engine bay!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

and just thought I'd throw this out there, no point really....

as good as powder coating is, I've got a stock up-pipe that a buddy *painted* gloss black several years ago for me. He worked as a painter for an industrial equipment company and apparently had access to some pretty amazing paint - in fact, you'd have see it to believe it. anyway, I used to run that black up-pipe with a turbo shield that was powder coated gloss black. I got tired of the black and decided I wanted to switch to chrome so I was just going to have the black pieces chrome plated. the chrome shop was going to charge me extra for stripping the parts so I tried stripping them myself. my first attempt was using spray-on paint stripper. it didn't really work, but it did attack the powder coating enough to ruin the finish and make it bubble a little bit. however, the paint stripper wouldn't touch the paint on the up-pipe! you could spray it directly on the paint, let it sit and then wipe it right off and there was absoutely NO effect on the paint! it really was unbelievable. I'm still running that up pipe (although I'm looking for a chrome one) and it looks every bit a good today as it did when he first painted it. I've even dropped it on the garage floor and it just *barely* scratched it. you have to look very closely to even see an evidence of a scratch. when I asked my buddy about the paint he said he used "high-solids" eurathane (whatever that means :confused: ) and I think he said it sold for about $100 a quart. :eek: too bad it's so expensive, that would be the ultimate paint for the outside of your car!

Before and after powder coating pics

UPDATE:

Here are a few pics before I powder coated and after powder coating. The pics don't do it justice so it looks much nicer in person. The engine bay is by no means show quality but it looks VERY nice and clean and I still need to hose off the 5 years of dust that's all over the compartment. Now when I open the hood it doesn't look grungy at all!
I also added some polished parts like a stock turbo compressor housing from Kirbans, vacuum block, billet inlet bell and a CAS V4 which really adds to the silver powder coating.

Here's what I had done and the cost was about $130:
Turbo shield
Intake Manifold
Up Pipe
Throttle body
Dog House
Valve covers

KS :cool:

Attachments

• Engineb4-1.jpg
    Engineb4-1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 205
Very nice looking good!!! Next take that alternator apart and powder all the parts on that baby! Friend of mine just powder coated his stock alternator (as seen below) and it came out amazing! These alternators are hard to keep nice and other then the turbo it's the first thing your eye goes to!

at7we2: thanks for the compliment! :cool:

IMG_1174.JPG