You can type here any text you want

poly body bushings...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

deputydawg

Anyone installed the poly body bushings? I am about to send my car to the body shop to start the repair process (long story) and I noticed the rubber bushings are pretty well used up. How hard are they to change out without a lift or is it possible?

You won't need a lift, but you will need to pull your bumpers and possibly your power steering resevoir from the fender to lift the body without damage. You can use a floor jack and a 2 X 4, lift up on the body below the door, one side at a time.

Poly will transfer alot more vibration.

I have them in my GN, which is okay since it is 90% race. But if you are going to spend alot of time street driving I would replace the stockers with new stock rubber ones and not the polys.

Poly will transfer alot more vibration.
I have them in my GN, which is okay since it is 90% race. But if you are going to spend alot of time street driving I would replace the stockers with new stock rubber ones and not the polys.
---------------------------------
I agree with Clayton (c&cgn) excepting I would add the factory GNX bushings additionally. Will help firm up the ride a little, without making it too firm for the street.

vibration I am not too worried about

I am going to be boxing the control arms, adding in additional braces to stiffen the car up- rides way too soft right now. Definately going for the GNX bushings.

So basically, just go through loosen all of them up and left it one side at a time? On average how long should it take with a floor jack, air tools a couple buddies and a case of beer?

I am going to be boxing the control arms, adding in additional braces to stiffen the car up- rides way too soft right now. Definately going for the GNX bushings.

So basically, just go through loosen all of them up and left it one side at a time? On average how long should it take with a floor jack, air tools a couple buddies and a case of beer?

With buddies and beer??? Probably twice as long:smile: .
The ride to me wasn't bad at all with the poly's.
Yep, loosen all the bolts first, you don't want to bind the opposite side when lifting. Air tools make it go much faster, be careful if you have any rust, you can break the backing nuts on the body if they are rusted bad. Other than that, I would say 6 hours with two buds.

Soak the bolts with rust penetrant for a few days before you start. FWIW I don't think the ride with poly's is bad at all and the handling improvement is incredible.

I have the poly mounts with the x-tra bushing. I have not noticed any extra noise transfer with them. I do however have all of the stock sound deadner in the car.

Let them soak with pb blaster. I broke four of my bolts in floor. I was pulling body completely off so i was not to worried. I am going with polys also. kirbans sells body mount bolts. i would get the new bolts just in case. If you live in chicago order up the bolts now.ha.ha:biggrin: lol

Polys here.......no extra noise or adverse ride. Much tighter all around.
Jegs or Summit for a complete set.

body bushing bolts

Checked kirbans website and did not see them in the online catalog. Also checked Gbody. I am guessing I have to call about these. Hey Brian do you have them? Pulled the body bushing bolts out of my car today and broke two bolts. I already have bushings to go back in so now I need some bolts. I am not surprised these broke as the car is 20 years old :eek:

The prices is great. Do yours come with the GNX bushing as well or is it seperate?

GNX body bushings are not built in Poly yet but can be ordered seperate.They will be rubber.
We do have Body bolt kits which are a little generic looking. You can get the same thing from Home Depot.
We are working with Fastenal to get an exact Body bushing bolts with molded washer built.So far it has been 6 weeks,no answer yet.

We do have washer that can be welded into the frame if your frame mounts are rotted away or elongated. They are made of 1/8" steel. They are $8.00 each.The inside diameter is made for replacement bushings.

We have 20 frames at the blaster & will have a new section on the website dedicated to Frames,Frame repairs,replacement lines & suspension.
I spoke wit Pete Hoffman today about getting the GNX braces so we can pre-weld them into our frames before we powde coat them. This wold allow future GNX suspensions to be installed.
I plan on offering frames in different completions.All will have the HR lower control arm supports & will more then likely already come frame notched for wider tires. Powder coated & ready to go.

Same here but I went with solid bushings in my car.

Not trying to sound like a therapist but how did the solid mounts make you feel? :D
I was contemplating making these as well but I have alot of customers that think the poly is too hard of a ride.

bolt kit number through kirban is 6974. they were $27.95 + shipping. brian is right they are probably the same bolts he is talking about. they look cheap. but they do have 10.9 marking on them so they are stronger than grade 8 bolts. if i would have known that brian had them i would have got them from him. I,M not knocking anybody. But i never see kirban answering any questions here. Brian is real asset to this website. And i dont even know the guy.

brian can you email me a picture of frame repair peices for bushings. The shop that coated my frame did not repair them. the front holes are pretty bad. if the peices you have will fit I am going to need 4 of them. hypo-6@juno.com thanks steve

Not trying to sound like a therapist but how did the solid mounts make you feel? :D
I was contemplating making these as well but I have alot of customers that think the poly is too hard of a ride.

I feel fine thanks for the concern.:) I personally don't think solid body bushings made the ride "harsh" at all. After I installed them the rear suspension was stiff. A shock change fixed that. With the BBO my car did have a bit of twist with the rubber mounts. With the new bushings my car feels solid. I like it!

Back