You can type here any text you want

Popping under boost

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
If the stock part/parts are not up to the task why replace them with the same stock POS?

Upgrade the damn parts!

What is A/F/S?

If the stock part/parts are not up to the task why replace them with the same stock POS?

Upgrade the damn parts!

What is A/F/S?
As far as modules go the stock ones were not a POS. What usually does them in is heat or a short. Other than that they are better than any "damn" aftermarket piece you can find.

As far as modules go the stock ones were not a POS. What usually does them in is heat or a short. Other than that they are better than any "damn" aftermarket piece you can find.

I disagree. You see that MR2 in my avatar? I was running easy 11's while nursing stock tires and spinning them for an 1/8th, and still had all the OEM electronics. The point being is that in the '80's American auto's were a joke, I had one of those money pits. I'm not arguing because that is not why I am here but I'm no idiot.

All just good conversation as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Last edited:
I disagree. You see that MR2 in my avatar? I was running easy 11's while nursing stock tires and spinning them for an 1/8th, and still had all the OEM electronics. The point being is that in the '80's American auto's were a joke, I had one of those money pits. I'm not arguing because that is not why I am here but I'm no idiot.

All just good conversation as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Don't see where anyone called you an idiot...Maybe after you get your very first Turbo Buick you will rethink what you think you know about these cars ;). Feel free to PM me instead if you would like to continue this. No use in polluting the OP's thread with this.

A few weeks ago I would get 1-2 pops under WOT, now everytime I go completely WOT I get multiple popping/misfiring etc.... The car doesn't seem to bog or anything just a lot of popping.

I will check the plugs this weekend, then maybe replace the module.
It could be a head gasket starting to go south

Same thing happened to me recently, ended up being the ignition module. Bought a new one from orielys and got a little better but still wasnt right. Bought a known good used 1987 module and woolah, back on track. 70mm 24lbs of boost.

Don't see where anyone called you an idiot...Maybe after you get your very first Turbo Buick you will rethink what you think you know about these cars ;). Feel free to PM me instead if you would like to continue this. No use in polluting the OP's thread with this.

Maybe somebody will finally understand that boost is not rocket science and finally realize that air/fuel/spark is the key, but what do I know?

Last edited:
Yeah, we are trying to figure out what you know! Do you still think there is a missing hose on the boost solenoid? Btw what year is your MR2? Was it made after the 80's? Sorry, this is not a Toyota web site and I'm not familiar with your car.

Same thing happened to me recently, ended up being the ignition module. Bought a new one from orielys and got a little better but still wasnt right. Bought a known good used 1987 module and woolah, back on track. 70mm 24lbs of boost.
^^^This is exactly what I'm talking about with some of those POS aftermarket modules (y).

A lot of modules are changed when the real problem is the crank or cam sensors. In my experience the modules either work or they don't. When they go bad they will usually keep blowing the fuse. Otherwise it works.

The crank and cam sensor have to be spot on. Cam sensor tab and play needs to be checked as well as the crank sensor on every blade of the wheel. Excessive run out on the crank can make the wheel walk out of the sensor. One bent blade can hit the sensor and cause issues as well.These are all things that make the difference on a good running car. I fix a lot of cars with these problems that no one else can seem to fix. They throw new coil packs and modules and mafs and chips and everything else under the sun but never fix the problem. Every time someone post a problem everyone respods with the same thing. Coilpack module bad or mass air is bad. :hilarious:

Last edited:
Back