porsche 928 s4 thoughts

Dont forget about the Euro (gray market) version 928S. Wayyyyy nicer car imo. My 82 was rated at 320 HP.

"Beautiful GREAT car. I had an 82 Euro signatures series. I raced it for one year and put $25,000 in repairs. Keep in mind that little things like a radiator cost well over $1000. What a painful (but fun)......."

So true.

The shifter handle on mine broke. It's made of plastic with a leather covering. The plastic part of it is not that durable. I tried carefully glueing it, it lasted for 2 months. A new, straight from the fatherland shift handle is $400(!!!!). A used one goes for $200.
I got a replacement from 928 International. It costs about $50.
It's a cheesy plastic "carbon fiber look" on top, but the base is metal. Way better than the stocker.

Parts can be outrageously expensive. A starter is $500. A single fuel injector is $60-75. And, if you have a manual tranny, a clutch job with parts is $2000+.

But, if you take care of it, major things just don't break. The oil pan holds about 12qts of oil. The recommend oil change is, I think, 7500-10000 mi. But I still change every 3000, just to be safe. The engine has hydraulic lifters, so no adjustments. If you keep up the maintence, it will last and last.

Thats it I am buying another one! I really do miss mine. Its kind of like driving a glove. Thats the best way to describe it. Heck it felt safer at 155 mph than most cars do at 65. I think I would get an automatic this time. That clutch and second gear synchro’s caused me too much grief.

Three reasons why I bought an auto tranny 928.....

1. A lot more auto 928s are in the US than Europe.

2. A clutch job is big bucks.

3. When I was shopping the 928, I was not proficient(sp?) enough with a stick shift to give a good test drive.

Actually, number 3 was the big reason. I wish I had the 5sp now.
It would be a lot more fun, and a tad quicker.

I understand engine transplants are not at all uncommon with these cars to get away from the otherwise expensive engine maintenance, with SBCs being a popular choice.

So who's going to try it with our friendly little V6?

;)

-S.

I understand engine transplants are not at all uncommon with these cars to get away from the otherwise expensive engine maintenance, with SBCs being a popular choice.

;)

-S.

;)

-S.