You can type here any text you want

porsche 928 s4 thoughts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Dont forget about the Euro (gray market) version 928S. Wayyyyy nicer car imo. My 82 was rated at 320 HP.

"Beautiful GREAT car. I had an 82 Euro signatures series. I raced it for one year and put $25,000 in repairs. Keep in mind that little things like a radiator cost well over $1000. What a painful (but fun)......."

So true.

The shifter handle on mine broke. It's made of plastic with a leather covering. The plastic part of it is not that durable. I tried carefully glueing it, it lasted for 2 months. A new, straight from the fatherland shift handle is $400(!!!!). A used one goes for $200.
I got a replacement from 928 International. It costs about $50.
It's a cheesy plastic "carbon fiber look" on top, but the base is metal. Way better than the stocker.

Parts can be outrageously expensive. A starter is $500. A single fuel injector is $60-75. And, if you have a manual tranny, a clutch job with parts is $2000+.

But, if you take care of it, major things just don't break. The oil pan holds about 12qts of oil. The recommend oil change is, I think, 7500-10000 mi. But I still change every 3000, just to be safe. The engine has hydraulic lifters, so no adjustments. If you keep up the maintence, it will last and last.

Thats it I am buying another one! I really do miss mine. Its kind of like driving a glove. Thats the best way to describe it. Heck it felt safer at 155 mph than most cars do at 65. I think I would get an automatic this time. That clutch and second gear synchro’s caused me too much grief.

Three reasons why I bought an auto tranny 928.....

1. A lot more auto 928s are in the US than Europe.

2. A clutch job is big bucks.

3. When I was shopping the 928, I was not proficient(sp?) enough with a stick shift to give a good test drive.

Actually, number 3 was the big reason. I wish I had the 5sp now.
It would be a lot more fun, and a tad quicker.

I understand engine transplants are not at all uncommon with these cars to get away from the otherwise expensive engine maintenance, with SBCs being a popular choice.

So who's going to try it with our friendly little V6?

;)

-S.

I understand engine transplants are not at all uncommon with these cars to get away from the otherwise expensive engine maintenance, with SBCs being a popular choice.

;)

-S.

;)

-S.

Back