Ported stock exhaust housing and wastegate

Dan K

Over the winter I put on a THDP and when I got the car out in spring I would get a consistent 17psi in 1st and 2nd, but then in 3rd boost would start to creep.
So I pulled the exhaust housing off and ported it enough so that I'd have about 3/16" all around for the puck to seal.
Now boost isn't consistent once I get past 16-17psi and I can't even get it over 20psi. I have the wastegate rod adjusted so tight that I can't shorten it anymore and still be able to get the rod onto the puck.
Did I take too much out of the wastegate hole? Hopefully not.
I'm thinking that maybe I need to step up to a HD wastegate in order for boost to stay consistent once I get it up that high due to the huge wastegate hole?

Save some money and just buy a Grainger valve. Won't matter if your stock actuator is worn out or not, the tension on the rod can be quite loose and you will have boost control over 20psi.

First check your Y connectore. If it is installed wrong you can get this type of issue. What kind of external boost controller are you using or is the hip doing it? Also check your boost solenoid unless you are going tuner style.

Y connector is oriented correctly. The factory vacuum hose was rotted a little so I replaced it with some regular vacuum line. Does it matter what size hose it is? The hose I used fits tightly over the connections, but maybe the inside diameter is too large or something? I should just buy the replacement stuff from Kirban or something. :rolleyes:
I have an ANS Boost Controller that I want to use to be able to turn boost down with if I need to.
The boost solenoid is the ANS solenoid that I assume came with the controller. It was in there when I bought the car.
A grainger valve is definitely out of the question as I want to be able to control boost inside the car. If I find the ANS solenoid is bad or something I'll just buy a new stock one and Ramchargers BSTC.

What about a simple bleeder valve that you can mount inside the car? I had one and it worked good, just wasn't consistent. However, I'm not sure if it was the valve or the ATR downpipe. I've heard there was a problem with this pipe concerning boost creep.

Its better to put a big radius on the inside of the wastegate hole than it is to open the entire diameter of the hole. Open it too big and you run into this problem.

Have you cut some more off the rod? Use vice grips to install.

Big radius and opened up.
I have not cut the rod at all. It wouldn't help to anyways. I can only pull the rod out of the wastegate so far, and that's it.
I ordered a hd wastegate today to try. Figured it can't hurt. Maybe the stiffer spring will help with the big wastegate hole.
I'll post back after it gets here.
Thanks for the ideas so far guys! :)