You can type here any text you want

Porting around the valve guides question...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

white-t-type

Just curious how much material you can remove around the valve guides? Does anyone have any pictures of this area they can post. Any help would be appreciated. Also do you remove any material from the bowls or do you simply pollish that area?

Look at the sticky's at the top of this section and general tech. If you're replacing the guides you can basically remove them and the guides will be replaced when you do it.

Look at the sticky's at the top of this section and general tech. If you're replacing the guides you can basically remove them and the guides will be replaced when you do it.

I was not sure if I would have to worry about hitting the water jackets or not. I am not very familiar with these heads and I do not want to mess anything up. If I could remove the whole area and just have bronze valve guides installed that would be fine as well.

Your not going to hit the water jacket around the guides, gnttype.org has cut away's of the heads for referance. If I had a working camera I would take a picture of the heads i'm doing now, but I dont.

the surface texture of the intake port does pretty much nothing for airflow. It's all in the shape. So polishing is a waste of time (not to mention potentially detrimental on the intake port).The valve throat is where you'll gain the most flow, and then the guide is second on the list.
I ground the biased side of the guide as far over as I could without cutting into the valve guide hole. I swirled this around the back of the guide. On my shadetree flowbench, these two things (bowl and guide) made the only real improvement to flow.

Today I actually grinded the exhaust valve guide all the way down to the top of the runner and didnt hit a water jacket. I have to get new guides put in now and there wont be any iron around the guide when its put back together. I hope that gives you an idea of how far you can port it. PM me if you have a camera phone and I can send you a pic.

Back