You can type here any text you want

Porting help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QwikStop

Wfo Racing Team Rep.
I'm looking at doing some head and intake porting.....which intake gasket would be the one to use as a template for this? I see there's a couple different kinds, one being a valley pan design and the other is your traditional intake gasket. Ill be doing this on a set of stock heads and intake....... Thanks in advance for the help, Bud.

I would go with the Fel-Pro MS 96033 should be the stock replacement.

Stick your finger in the stock intake and you'll notice a stupid lip on one side of every port. Put layout dye on the intake flange, Start all 10 bolts and shove the intake back as far as the bolts will allow. Make a 180* scribe and mark the head ports outline on the intake. If the head is exposed, mark that too.

Basically you're removing any shelves that can make the ports seem smaller than they really are. There's no HP in making the port bigger just to shrink it right back down.

Here are some pic's of some home ported heads , I worked the bowl area more than making the runners bigger. I cleaned and gasket matched the intake and exhaust runners also !! Try too work the same area on each port the same amount,it helps to keep them uniform. Some people remove more of the guides than I did .

Attachments

• stuff 253.jpg
    stuff 253.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 221
  • stuff 254.jpg
    stuff 254.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 217
  • stuff 255.jpg
    stuff 255.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some pic's of some home ported heads , I worked the bowel area more than making the runners bigger. I cleaned and gasket matched the intake and exhaust runners also !! Try too work the same area on each port the same amount,it helps to keep them uniform. Some people remove more of the guides than I did .

Nice pics. Thanks.

Thanks, I have a few hours into them ! I had advise from posts on this site and other's. Car buddies with the knowledge of porting . I found pictures help me the most ! Hope these help with your porting .

Pictures help a lot....the more the merrier. I got a long weekend coming and I'm gonna pull the top end and give it a whirl...

Nice Work Earl !!! I look for your posts they have some of the best info on these cars going!!!

That was back when I was considering making a run of "80/20 heads" (80% of the gains with 20% of the effort)

The bad part is how shiny metal obscures what I was trying to show. Most shots with two combustion chambers are showing a before/after. Like one bowl ported port and one left stock. When I cleaned the heads it made it a lot harder to see just how choked the bowl area is from the factory.

What's odd is I could have sworn all the work I did with the valves was on that same post. I guess I made a follow up post showing them.

Looks really nice Earl,,,,Thanks for the pics

Most all of your flow gains are in the bowl area not the port entrance. When you're in the ports just clean up any bumps and casting flash, and concentrate on making a nice straight shot at the valve.

Thanks for the advice.
I've been chasing this 11 for a few months and got the car down to 12.05@114 , i'm hoping this port job along with a new timing chain will yield the results i'm looking for.....:)

If all you need is .06 that should do it. Don't get too excited before finishing though. Turbo engines don't respond to head porting like a high revving N/A engine does.

I hear ya, but what do ya think with a good port job and all, how much of a gain is it good for..

Depends on how hot your build is to start with. If you're all stock, then not much (like I mentioned earlier, turbos are the great equalizer).... The valve job and springs will probably do just as much as the porting. but don't let that discourage you, it is free power and efficiency.

Head porting really won't shine until your combo is set up to move some serious air. The less of a cork your heads are, the less porting will accomplish.

Just look at one of those stickys up there that dont have any pictures. They should help out a lot.

Back