post some pics of the LT1 please

arista5

Sold, and Replaced
Staff member
I found a local yard claiming it to be from a 96 caprice, can anyone please post pics of it so i know i am getting the right thing

P.S. if there is any noticable markings can you point them out?

Easy. Two things:

Opti-spark: plug wires attach to a distributor of sorts in front of the crankshaft.

Cam driven water pump: No belt going to water pump. It sits directly in front of and is driven by the camshaft.

If it's a 9C1 Caprice or Impala motor, it should have iron heads. If it came from a F-body, aluminum heads.

Are you talking about the whole engine or just the starter? If you are talking about the whole engine, then let me issue a word of advice. Check back by the bell housing flange for engine displacement. An LT1 would ofcourse have "5.7" back there. But there was also a 4.3 (265 cube) V8 from 94-96 and it looks just like an LT1 complete with the optispark and intake. Make sure they arent pawning one of these off on you.

i am sorry i wasnt more specific, i need pics of the starter they have it off the car on the shelf, and wanted to be sure i dont get told it's a 96 but it's really not compatible with my car.

thanks again

I think the Impala may use a heavy ass LT1 starter. The light weight ones are F-body and Corvette. You may want to take a scale with you.

If its over 10 lbs, don't buy it.

i am planning to go shopping at a u pull it junk yard in NJ and this is on my list do you want to tag along

Originally posted by arista5
i am sorry i wasnt more specific, i need pics of the starter they have it off the car on the shelf, and wanted to be sure i dont get told it's a 96 but it's really not compatible with my car.

thanks again

The Impala or any Caprice with the LT1 heavy duty package(Cop car or taxi)has a lightweight heavy duty starter.The part number is different from the Camaro LT1 starter,the difference being the Caprice one is heavy duty(stronger nose for one)but is still only around 9 lbs.

Oh and it fits and works great,I have one on my T/A

Steve

tomorrow i might have to especially since my car is immobile right now.

The caprice 9c1 and impala starter are different then the f body starter.....slightly larger, and slightly heavier....I have both and impala and a 9c1 and have had several f bodies and another 9c1.....

Other notable differences....

Crank hub, accesessory belt bracket distance, water pump outlets(slightly),

The location of the water temp sensor also....

Both the starters should fit no problem......you should be able to find the smaller one new for 135 or so....

I'd say chances are slim and none you'll find an LT1 starter in a u-pull-it yard, but it's your a** you'll be freezin' off.:p