You can type here any text you want

Powdercoating engine block and heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boosted89ta

Hey guys, I have my engine apart and was thinking of having the block and heads powdercoated. My engine guy told me he wouldn't recommend it for a street car due to cooling issues. Anyone out there have their engines done and if so any cooling issues. Thanks in advance for your input.

Buddy did his mustang a while ago, and it still looks nice. No cooling problems at all, but he did have to have the block re-honed(after the powder-coating). Apparently some how the heat when they bake the powder-coat, messed up the fresh hone job on his motor at the time of assembly. This caused oil to blow-by the rings, and go all over anywhere there was a breather. Hope this helps and saves a headache from happening.

Contact member " Rmar " here on the board. he can tell you anything you need to know. I don't know what part of Illinois you are in but Ronnie ( Rmar ) is in Centralia. That is where my parts are right now. :biggrin:

Bryan

I don't see how powdercoating a block and heads can effect cooling that much. After all, The coolant in the engine and the radiator do 99% of engine cooling. I find it very hard to believe that the powder coat would hold in that much heat.......

As long as the parts are properly taped-off so that the gasket surfaces and bearing surfaces don't get covered in powdercoat, of course.

John

I don't see how powdercoating a block and heads can effect cooling that much. After all, The coolant in the engine and the radiator do 99% of engine cooling. I find it very hard to believe that the powder coat would hold in that much heat.......

As long as the parts are properly taped-off so that the gasket surfaces and bearing surfaces don't get covered in powdercoat, of course.

John
actually, the exhaust system does a good chunk of the cooling..
as for the question at hand- spray paint is cheap and works, and if you should need to do some touchup, it is easy.

I've used regular automotive paint sprayed through a gun for years, I wouldn't change a thing, done properly I would think powder coating would be the ultimate coating available, cost effective? thats another matter.

Kevin.

Thanks for the input guys. As for the cost, its not a concern because a buddy of mine will be doing the coating. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to affect the cooling system. These engines produce enough heat under the hood as it is. Thanks Bryan I will contact Ronnie (Rmar) and pick his brain.

Chris

Back