Power locks trigger but don't fully lock?

dustintinsley

So, i have been having issues with my power locks. Initially the switches did not work. Replaced both power lock switches and new the function. However, now when I try to unlock the door, you can hear the motor function and the lock knobs slightly move but the lock is not engaged. If I hit lock a few times, the knobs go down a little more every time and eventually lock but it takes a few attempts. What would I need to lock at next?

I need this answered as well, mine just makes a thump sound,but does not go very far. The drivers side works, but the passenger side needs to be manually locked and unlocked

You need to try cleaning off all the old grease/grime on all the linkage, then new lithium grease, maybe also time for new actuators. Had an 87 Iroc that needed this done every 2 years or so, the TTA I had for a short time had the same problem

Could be the actuator is old and just doesn't have enough power anymore to work right.

So, i have been having issues with my power locks. Initially the switches did not work. Replaced both power lock switches and new the function. However, now when I try to unlock the door, you can hear the motor function and the lock knobs slightly move but the lock is not engaged. If I hit lock a few times, the knobs go down a little more every time and eventually lock but it takes a few attempts. What would I need to lock at next?
I just went through this on a couple of turbo cars. The locking mechanism in the end of the door gets gummed up. I cleaned them with solvent then put a light oil on them. You have to pull the door panels to get at them. I tried cleaning them without pulling the panels by squirting solvent into the lock mechanism at the end of the door but it did not work very well. The lock motors are most likely ok.

I just went through this on a couple of turbo cars. The locking mechanism in the end of the door gets gummed up. I cleaned them with solvent then put a light oil on them. You have to pull the door panels to get at them. I tried cleaning them without pulling the panels by squirting solvent into the lock mechanism at the end of the door but it did not work very well. The lock motors are most likely ok.

Good info here. Mine will still lock and unlock. But when you lock the doors you can still push the door locks down.

good info. it i s just the drivers door. wish i knew this before i put the panel back on from replacing the switches! i will pull them and do some cleaning.