Power master cycle time

michael evans

I was out in the garage testing the methanol system and it was quiet and heard what turned out to be the Powermaster cycling.

I just had to know so I started to measure that also.

It took about 3 to 5 seconds (motor run time) to build up pressure and anywhere from one minute 14 seconds to one minute 27 seconds for the pump to run again.

My question is what is the normal time between pump runs ?

Nope. What you noticed was a warning shot.

....and by 'warning shot', I mean it's time to convert to vacuum yesterday.

If the pump is coming on again just sitting there with no brake application something is wrong with the PowerMaster. Mine was cycling very frequently over the early summer and I found my issue was the pressure switch on the PM causing it to cycle to frequently. I changed that out and put on a good used acc ball and all has been well since then.

Nope. What you noticed was a warning shot.

....and by 'warning shot', I mean it's time to convert to vacuum yesterday.

I will add that to my list of to do.

What to do with the power plugs ?
Does Casper's sell plug covers ?

Just because I had a new bowl, I swapped it, the time between "cycles" got only little longer but not great.

Went from one minute 14 seconds to one minute 40 seconds. So it must be internal leak.

It is time to look for a replacement.

It still could be the pressure switch itself mounted on the PM. If you're OK with ditching it then you can pretty much convert to vacuum for the price of a new pressure switch. I bought a vacuum pedal off a board member here, replaced the rubber brake pad for $7.00, re-painted the pedal, ordered the master cylinder and booster from Rock Auto (same stuff that comes in all the "kits"), TTA vac block even though most guys will just use a 3/8 brass tee off the PCV line to route the vacuum hose behind the coil pack for a little cleaner look. I think I spent about $250 total for all the parts necessary to convert. I ended up not converting at this time to vacuum, but I have it all sitting on the shelf if the PM starts giving me issues again.