You can type here any text you want

power master question please help

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JimmyRocket86

I installed a new pumpmotor with a new hydraulic pump from old Buicks .com . a new accumulator , and a new pressure switch . and now the new problem is I have bleed down the pump cycles every 30 seconds . I also, completely flushed the system with new 3 dot fluid .prior to the new motor/pump / flush the system held pressure for weeks. Does anyone know where to find a rebuild kit for the powermaster. I only know of part # s 18m757 or 18035810 but I am having no luck in finding them anywere.

I dont mean to rain on your parade, but... Is there a reason you are tryin to make the powermaster work? Are you building a trailer queen that will only go to shows and garner 100% stock class participation? or are you planning to drive it? or heaven forbid make a pass or two at your local drag racing establishment?

The power master is a known failure prone piece and now that it has aged it is even worse. Vacuum and hydroboost swaps are common and way more reliable at getting you ride stopped.

That said Mr. Kirban might have a source as I am pretty sure he stocks remanufactured units for the purist. Are you following the instructions in the powermaster sticky?

Do yourself, your passengers and your sheetmetal a favor and at least consider a swap to a more reliable system.

Oh, and welcome to the board, lots of great info here and it's only a search away.

Are you looking for a rebuild kit for the master cylinder part of the powermaster?

I'll inject a bit of voice of reason here instead of beating down the PM. It sounds like you likely have a bad check valve, or one that may need cleaning and resurfacing.

And TexasT's statement "The power master is a known failure prone piece and now that it has aged it is even worse"
Only really holds true on units that have been abused or ignored. I can count on the fingers of one hand the total number of issues I've had on both my GN's combined over the last 26+ years, and those were caught soon enough to avoid any total failures.

Are you looking for a rebuild kit for the master cylinder part of the powermaster?

thanks for responding YES i am looking for a kit to rebuild any info or a place to get one would be great i have searched everywhere i could think of with no luck

I dont mean to rain on your parade, but... Is there a reason you are tryin to make the powermaster work? Are you building a trailer queen that will only go to shows and garner 100% stock class participation? or are you planning to drive it? or heaven forbid make a pass or two at your local drag racing establishment?

The power master is a known failure prone piece and now that it has aged it is even worse. Vacuum and hydroboost swaps are common and way more reliable at getting you ride stopped.

That said Mr. Kirban might have a source as I am pretty sure he stocks remanufactured units for the purist. Are you following the instructions in the powermaster sticky?

Do yourself, your passengers and your sheetmetal a favor and at least consider a swap to a more reliable system.

Oh, and welcome to the board, lots of great info here and it's only a search away.

YES i have followed all the info posted in the brakes section

I'll inject a bit of voice of reason here instead of beating down the PM. It sounds like you likely have a bad check valve, or one that may need cleaning and resurfacing.

And TexasT's statement "The power master is a known failure prone piece and now that it has aged it is even worse"
Only really holds true on units that have been abused or ignored. I can count on the fingers of one hand the total number of issues I've had on both my GN's cobined over the last 26+ years, and those were caught soon enough to avoid any total failures.[/qu

i can't find anything on cleaning it . can i just disassemble it clean and reassemble it without a rebuild kit are there any must replace items once disassembled . also i don't see a check valve on the GM exploded parts diagram.

I wish I had a picture to show you. There's a line coming into the master cylinder right under the accumulator. Once you remove that (after relieving pressure of course) line/fitting, the check valve is in the body and has to be carefully "picked" out. It's retained by a "ring" and next is the check valve and a small spring. The face of the check valve must be PERFECTLY flat and clean!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not very good at part descriptions and removal. But I remove them by "sorta gently" forcing an easy out into it (large enough not to pentrate hardly at all) and pulling straight out.

Karps power brake in cali had them, reseal kit for the master cylinder. I looked on my receipt and no part number so you will need to call them. I do remember them being expensive for what you got but......
be prepared they were not cheap seals.
Thanks
Bill

thanks for responding YES i am looking for a kit to rebuild any info or a place to get one would be great i have searched everywhere i could think of with no luck
If and when you get your PM healthy again the single most important thing you can do to keep it alive and well is to change the fluid often. I do it every time I change the oil which is at least twice a year minimum even if I hardly drive the car. Oil and brake fluid is cheap compared to the damage it can cause by not changing it frequently enough.

Just talked with Jeff at Karps his supplier stopped making the kits so he is going to start making them. I am going to get one myself.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the update. I purchased mine a few years back and may get another when they come out.

Thanks
Bill

I ordered a couple of the master cylinder kits from Karps a few weeks ago, he must've just ran out of stock recently?

I also like my powermaster, I think it's cool and I like to build lotsa boost on the footbrakes! have had great luck with them over the years, but the magic is to keep the fluid clean. I change it out every spring.

You are the culprit When I called he said he just sold the last two he had. I am glad to see that Karps can put kits together.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Back