You can type here any text you want

Power Master Trouble again!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hognose

I just put a brand new Accumulator on my car not even 200 miles ago.

Driving it today the brakes were periodically going out on me. Rock hard pedal then a minute later they would be fine. I stopped the car and could here pressure realeasing from some where but could not feel it. I could actually here it while driving the car. Plus the PM motor was running constantly. when I touched the brake pedal the motor would stop.

Once I was about 5 miles from hoem everything was working normally, no hissing noise or anything!?!

Any ideas what could be up? Could my new Accumulator be bad already? Any help would be great. Thanks

Matthew

Matt, I had the exact same thing happen to me on my 34K mile car. Ended up being a bad connection in the connector. Might try checking that!

if the ball is running constantly, it could be the switch is bad.
but more likely the check valve is dirty and leaking, which is good for you because its free and easy to fix..
btw does your brake fluid look like coke or cooking oil?

if number 1 flush / drive and reflush untill clean-that alone should help you keep a healthy pm system for a long time.

Thanks guys I wll try those things out.

Part of my resivoir looks good the other side is a little dirty.

which part looks dirty?
from the drivers fender looking over:
the driver side is the reg side(like manual)
THE PASSINGER SIDE IS PM

FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS ON THE CAP for refill- you dont want air in the system or the ball-lots of people do this and complain that the brakes are bad after replacing switches/ hoses /fluid ect and switch over to vac because of frustration.

The Pass side is clean, it is the drivers side that is a little dirty.
My concern from yesterday is that, while the car was off, I could hear something leaking, like air escapeing, but could not feel it anywhere. Almost like it was coming from inside the motor.
Could this leak there? Plus could it leak one minute and then not again later? Thanks

Matthew

Planning on the track tomorrow, hopefully I can get this handled today.

Matt, if you find that you need a new switch, I have a spare and ould be more than happy to send it to you! Hope you get her figured out!

if it sounds like a leak inside the ball(it holds 600-800 psi)then its probably the check valve(its job is to hold back the pressure in the ball untill your foot is on the brake to release it.(it becomes dirty from contamiants in the fluid/not ever chaging fluid ect)

remove the line after only applying the brake 20 times to be sure the ball is empty with the key off
take a sheet metal screw or like and gently dig out the plastic spring/plunger.(remember which way it came out or youll be in for a bad day)

look at the surface-flush with brake fluid and sand lightly-2000 grit the surface untill smooth.flush again with clean brake fluid and install the correct direction
hope that helps

btw if you still hear the ball leaking- its bladder is blown /worn out-replace

Well
My accumulator ball has less than 200 miles on it brand new. And only a month old! Again the leaking sound is not consisitant. Could the ball go bad so quickly?

I swapped out my PM motor with a spare I got and got it all hooked back up to find out that that motor was locked up! My fault for not testing it. So I put my old one back on. I flushed out both sides of the resivoir and bled the brakes. Everything is workking now, we will see how it does tommorow on the trip to the track!
Jeremy, thanks, but I don't think it is the switch.

Thanks

I may bite the bullet next week and buy a whole new unit from Advanced.

Ok, so on the way to the track today my brakes act up once. (An hour and 20 minute drive) I get there and am waiting to get in. When I turn my car back on my brake light it on and my pedal is rock hard.
I try turning the car on and off and messing with the plug on the PM motor. Nothing, so I make the design to head home very caf=refully and not try to race.
Start the car and the PM is working fine. I went a head and headed home. Th ePM went out a couple times on teh way back home. I am convinced that it must be a short in the motor. The symtems have been the same with 3 different accumulators.

So I got home and went straight to Advanced and ordered a new one! Hopefully this will be the en d of my Power Master issues for a long time!

Thanks guys for your help.
Matthew

Did you verify the switch is not the culprit? If the pedal is hard the pump is not running. If it shorts or the switch is bad it will burn out quickly if it continues running after its at max pressure. Sometimes one small problem leads to several broken components on these old PM's.

Matt, what problems were you having with the other PM unit?? The reason I ask is that PM is a known good PM the way it was sent to you. I'm curious if you are having other problems. Like I said, sounds identical to the problems I was having when I have a loose wire in my connector on my old car. I would hate to have you waste any more money if the problem is elsewhere. Hope this helps! ------Jeremy

I did not verify if it was the switch. I have been having the same problem with this thing for a little while now. I was sure via the testis that it was the Ball. Spent some big dough on that and then it was working fine then back to normal.
Now on Saturday when I swapped the motor out and turned the key on the motor did not run, it was getting pretty warm also. I unplugged it and brought my old motor next to it and plugged that one in and it fired up. Si that is how I figured that it was not the switch. And definately that my spare motor was not working.
I tried and playing with the plug while the PM was running and it made no differance. Even when not running, I couldn't get a reaction on it.

So I ordered a new one and am going to be going to pick it up in a few minutes and will install it soon and be done with it! I really like the PM and want to keep it.

Thanks again guys for all the input!

Here is my new babby! LOL Just need to find the time to put it in! ;)
Matthew

Attachments

• Power Master.jpg
    Power Master.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 64
Thanks Jeremy I am sure all will be fine. The cool thing is that this unit has a lifetime warranty. As laong as I own the car, so at least I am finacially done with the PM! LOL

Back