Power plate install?

DKREDT

On an stock plenum power plate, which side of the plenum does the small triangle side of the power plate sit on?

Driver or passenger side rear?

Just curious

Joel

Cool. Thanks ZAM. Too cold out in the garage to go look and upper and tb are over at Jay Jackson's getting a little of that magic done to them :D

For what it's worth, be careful when re-installing the upper plenum bolt on the passenger side closest to the firewall (the bolt that has the bracket for the vac line). For some reason, I'm not the only one who has stripped that specific bolt upon reinstallation. Helicoil to the rescue.

Rich

Originally posted by QuickWE4
For what it's worth, be careful when re-installing the upper plenum bolt on the passenger side closest to the firewall (the bolt that has the bracket for the vac line). For some reason, I'm not the only one who has stripped that specific bolt upon reinstallation. Helicoil to the rescue.

Rich
That bolt was stripped on mine new from the factory.

Same here. It was barely grabbing when I removed it.

I helicoiled it, but it's still not 100%.

Rich

Why didn't I read this post first!!

I had the same problem two days ago. Future power plate installers beware of that stud. Car runs great though.

Weird that you guys mentioned that stripped hole.Ive hed 2 separate intakes and both were stripped. I just installed a plate just 1 hr ago and had to stuff a bigger bolt in there. But all is well ;0

On mine the passenger side was fine but the stud on the drivers side that holds the throttle linkage stripped. I was able to save it with a longer bolt. What are those supposed to be torqued to? It seems like anything above 20lbs will strip them.

hey guys..

Yeah, 20lbs is plenty. They strip if you breathe on them the wrong way. I'm going to take the damned thing off again this spring and redo it because I"m not happy with the helicoil plus I think I screwed up one of the plenum gaskets when I slid the powerplate in. Does anybody know how to remove a helicoil (aside from drilling it out, which is messy)?
Is there a removal tool?

:)

Thanks
Rich

hey guys..

Yeah, 20lbs is plenty. They strip if you breath on them the wrong way. I'm going to take the damned thing off again this spring and redo it because I"m not happy with the helicoil plus I think I screwed up one of the plenum gaskets when I slid the powerplate in. Does anybody know how to remove a helicoil (aside from drilling it out, which is messy)?
Is there a removal tool?

:)

Thanks
Rich

QuickWE4 ,

yes, Helicoil does have specialized removal tools in a range of sizes. McMaster-Carr Co has them (last time I ordered helicoils.)

Very helpful info, how about making this a sticky? Especially since it concerns alot of us and is not the fault of any of the vendors on this board. (installing a power plate? Got any helicoils handy?)

Originally posted by blackbuick87
On mine the passenger side was fine but the stud on the drivers side that holds the throttle linkage stripped. I was able to save it with a longer bolt. What are those supposed to be torqued to? It seems like anything above 20lbs will strip them.

Yep - that's the one that stripped on my car. Passenger side was okay. I didn't really do anything about it yet - it's sort of tight. Apparently you only get one chance to remove and re-install the plenum. The second time, they all felt like they were going to strip.

Jim