Power steering whine

1936fordturbo

I have a power steering whine that needs figured out. Whine usually happens after running at highway speeds for a duration of 15 minutes. I have changed out pump but still the same problem. I am running Pinto rack and a Zoops aluminum reservoir with straight power steering fluid. I believe I had trans fluid with prior pump and same whine was happening. Any thoughts?

wow! very cool. never met ya before, Im A.j. ! And i love your 36

i have a fourdor humpback..... simular blue color but with flames sbc powered though.

Do you have a power steering pressure reducer on the pressure line? my rack did the same thing using a GM style pump. I think the stock GM steering box uses higher pressures then the rack, and so the pump is over turning itself.

DSC08905.JPG

I do not have pressure reducer on the line anymore. I had one with the first pump but I did not install it with this new pump. I did not notice, hear or feel any difference.
C:\Documents and Settings\David Kulka\Desktop

Call Fatman, and ask about using the Pinto rack/GM pump.
Borgeson can also answer your ??'s.

I have always had good luck with Lucas power steering/rack additive. I had a couple of Vette's and my GN that the additive cured the whine and freed up a tight spot in one of the Corvette racks. I don't like BS additives but Lucas has some great products.

X2 on the Lucas product. I pulled out as much as I could with a giant syringe attached to some fuel line, top off, run a while, repeat. Normally 2 bottles of the Lucas will do the trick unless you let it go for too long and put metal through the system.

I keep pulling it out and flushing until I am pretty much running straight Lucas product in there--No ATF or Trans at all. Also in your set-up, you may not have a large enough reservoir to contain enough fluid to keep it from getting too hot--you did mention that the whine starts after you've been running a while. Just a thought.

JayJ

I guess I will try straight Lucas additive, if that does not fix I would agree maybe larger reservoir or I may try a P/S cooler first. Thanks for the help guys.

Power Steering fluid, not trans fluid. Lucas has quietened down a few for me also but I drained or sucked some out and added back to full line.

I have always drained just enough fluid to add 1 bottle of Lucas additive.