Power window woes

BuickMike

Money pit
So now that my car runs I'm starting to turn my attention to all the gremlins inside the car. Before I put my new door panels on I'd like to address my power windows problems.

Way back before I took my GN apart, I replaced the old window motors with the big ass ones out of a late 70's G body. They roll up pretty quick with the motor running, but still slow down and then speed up every couple of inches. This makes me think that my regulators are worn out. They also go down stupid fast. Even though it looks cool, I've had them get hung before if they slam down too fast. I used my existing regulators and am wondering if the ones I pulled the motors off of had clock springs in them to make the up / down speeds consistent. The big motors also seem to draw some good ampereage going up and I think I remember going through a couple window switches. I tried putting them up and down using straight battery power and there is no difference, so doing something with the wiring will not make a difference. At this point I am thinking 2 options.

1. Pull everything out and look into trying to fix any loose pivot points on the regulators.

2. Buy new motors and regulators here: Power Window Kit: A1 Electric Online Store

Anyone else go the big motor route and have experiences to share?

Thanks!

Having just replaced my door on my GN with one that had a manual crank regulator. I would recomend a trip to the yard and just get a new setup from a donor. My old regulator when I bought my car would drop the window if I did not hold on to it. When I removed that regulator the main hinge was VERY loose causing the teeth of the motor to jump off. I replaced it with on with a tight center hinge. On my new swap I bought a motor from NOS4GN all I had to do to it was tap treads in the holes to tread the bolts through I believe it was 8mm. The motor works great. key to good working power windows are good motor and lubrication/grease of all the tracks. As for that link the regulator shown doesn't have the bracket that bolts it to the window glass. Not sure how it would work. Im sure there are plenty of people on here with and extra power window regulator sitting around from a rusty door. Take a picture of yours and post it in the Parts wanted section.
You should pull everything out btw and inspect it. Unbolt the window first and remove then I take the belt molding off the door to get the tracks and regulator out.

Ok, I see where I screwed up. I should have grabbed the window regulators with the big motors because they are sprung and mine are not. That's why it goes down in just over 1 second and up in 6-7 seconds and struggles the whole way. Glad I figured that out. Now for the dilemna. Do I go junkyarding or do I just buy new?? Hmmmm.

What is different about the manual crank regulator? Does it have a clock spring in it?

Yes the manual regulator have the spring in it. On a Power window the teeth of the motor keeps the window up. As you can see this is a Manual regulator in the picture. The Power one is more like a Larger X shape and moves freely. The joint in the middle sometimes gets sloppy and it's best to just replace the whole thing. I would go to the Junk yard and get a used one. It's your money But you Can Not use a manual regulator for power windows.. DSC02426.jpg