You can type here any text you want

Powermaster Problem

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JOHN7

Hello
87' GN mostly stock. The car sat for 5 years, but I started the car every 2 weeks so no problems with the engine. The last time I drove it, I had the normal accumulator problem where the brake light comes on and the brakes have a slight delay then they grab. Now the problem is worse. the brake pedel feels hard and the pedal does not come back up on its own. I have to pull the pedel up with my foot or the rear brake lights will stay on. Motor somes on and goes off.
Does this still sound like an accumulator problem? I didn't want to buy one and that not fix it.
Thanks JohnT

did you read the powermaster sticky at the top of the page and go through the diagnostic procedure at all?

Ditch the sucker and get a vacuum system. Its safer. I no longer worry about taking my 5 year old for a ride. My powermaster crapped out on me three times. I converted two years ago and no worries. Great braking capability. Not that expensive.

No - the pedal sticking is not an accumulator problem
You have a problem within the master cylinder itself
Probably old gunked up orings that wont allow free pedal movement...but that's just a guess
The P/M doesn't like to sit - it likes to be used

Hello again
Just noticed something. I flushed the old brake fluid from the PM and was rechecking it and noticed the rear brake lights stay on with the ignition on and I push on the pedal, but the rear brake lights go out with the key off and I push the pedal. Could this just be a brake switch adjustment problem?

More than likely it's related to your pedal sticking and not releasing properly
Fix that problem first

Update!
The pedal looked like it was now moving normally. Pulled the cover under the dash and pushed on the brake switch until it clicked, then pulled the brake pedal back up with my foot.(It only moves about a 1/4" now). The brake lights are now working normal. It looks like it was a simple problem and all I need now is a new accumulator.
Thanks for all the replys.

Back