powermaster whine

redwolf

My brake pedal went all the way to the floor a few days ago coming down a hill, and ever since then, it has been really soft and spongy. The brake light was on continously for about a day afterwards, then went off. The brake fluid is right, neither high nor low, and the powermaster motor runs for about 6 seconds after starting the car, then stops like its supposed to. Then tonight, whenever I would first apply the brake to stop, I would hear a whining noise that sounded like power steering motor whine, but only when braking not turning. Fluids in brake and power steering resevoirs are good, and I don't appear to have any leaks. Any ideas or help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jeff

Brakes

I just had the same thing happen to me.

Be carefull if you need to stop quick... the pedal may get hard fast.

I ended up changing the powermaster because of a leak in the rear of the pump (I think the seal failed). I am having some problem with the breaks locking up intemittantly. I am still trying to figure that out. Anyway my problem with the whine is gone and the brake light does not come on anymore. Just be carefull!

Best deal going (WHILE IT LASTS) is getting an entire PowerMaster assembly with EVERYTHING fresh AND a Lifetime Warranty for under 300.00 from Advance Auto. Got ours on-line from them for around 280.00 with shipping.This entire assembly from GM would be 1200-1500.00, if it was not discontinued!

The @#$%^& accumilator by ITSELF is 120.00 from GM!!

Thinking about buying another one to store for 10 years, then sell it to pay for our youngest kid's college tuition.