You can type here any text you want

Problem with key switch/park lock cable after shifter detent install.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Scott89TTA

I installed a B&M stock/OEM shifter detent kit yesterday and now the key switch won't lock or go back into the accessory possition...it was fine before I took the shifter out and then put it back in. My guess is I did something to the "park lock" cable...can't find anything on how this works or where it goes exactly in either the TTA service manual or my Firebird Haynes manual. Anyone know how this works or possible what I did?

Thanks,
Scott

Take a look at your steering column. The detent and rod for the ign can be adjusted. I had a similar problem once. It is a bit of a pain to loosen the two little screws to get to it.

The cable comes in on front of the shifter.

On a G-body its a linkage in front of the firewall. On the Fbod.. its a cable on the shifter that goes to the steering column.

This is one of those you have to figure out.. no amount of pix will help you. And there is no adjustment to it. You probably unhooked it and reconnected it wrong or didnt reconnect it.

Pull the handle on the shifter.. lift the plate up.. see how the cable interacts with the shifter.. figure it out.

I tore it all apart again Sunday...took the shifter back out...cable was hooked up. I could move the cable in and out but nothing and then all the sudden something clicked and it started working. Put it all back together...still working, pulled the car in the garage, turned it off and crap doesn't work again. Pulled it apart and unhooked the cable and all works fine. Is there any danger or problems associated with leaving it unhooked? Oh and the cable does look like it has some sort of adjustment up at the shifter side, kind of resembles the TV cable a little...there is a bunch of stuff going on right there...mutliple pieces and a big spring, etc. pretty sure there is a way to adjust it in or out. Thinking I changed the setting when I was pulling on it the 1st time.

-Scott

Take a look at your steering column. The detent and rod for the ign can be adjusted. I had a similar problem once. It is a bit of a pain to loosen the two little screws to get to it.

I got into that some too...accept I think the only adjustment there is the piece that works the high beam switch. I had all that stuff out a half a dozen times last Spring when I had my wiring disaster. after I put it all together I realized my high beam switch didn't work...fixed that yesterday as well...YES those little screws are a royal PITA !

-Scott

The reason your key won't go all the way back to the off position is that the shifter button is still slightly depressed.The original shifter's rod is plastic and B&M's is stainless and much heavier causing the mechanism not too fully over come the added wieght.

You can take it apart and really grease up the rod or just remember to give the shifter button a little "flick" when you throw it up into park,it will then fully come out and let the interlock cable let the key rotate all the way to the off/key out position.

I had this problem and did what you did till I watched how the whole mech works and came to this conclusion.

I think I'm going to make up some aluminum rods as I think they will be light enough to allow the button to fully extend.

I wrote about this here http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-trans-am-tech/311005-detent-plate.html

Back