You can type here any text you want

Problems with Idle and the vacuum Brake conversion

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

tzque

I am trying to work out the bugs of the converting to the vacuum brakes conversion . I intially T into the pvc line but my car would not hold idle . It would run for a little while and shut off . I also had a very hard brake . I bought the TTA vacumm block and turned up my idle . The problem now is that the motor idles to high when I start it up so I turned the idle back down .
If I plug the line that goes to my Vacuum canister the car will idle . A friend told me to get a check valve and that will solve the problem .
The other problem is that my rear brakes cylinder is only pushing the front of the shoe . I thought vacuum would be the way to go but I have been having nothing but problems since I have started the conversion . I am starting to regret that I didnt stay with the power master . As I said in other threads Red regal has been nothing but patient and helpful . Trying to get this system to work is wearing me out . I cant tell if my problem is the booster master cylinder or both . I cant keep enough vacumm to trouble shoot . I now feel like a dog chasing his tail . Three weeks and I have not gotten this thing sorted out .

First off - "the idle" is not controlled by the screw I believe you are turning. Yes, it will raise your engine speed, but so will putting your foot on the gas. No difference here as the true idle is controlled by the computer.

Next - It sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. The check valve between the engine and the brake booster does nothing more than keep turbo pressure from entering into your brake booster. It will probably not solve your problem. I believe it closes up at a few inches of vacuum, but I don't know for sure. If your hard brake pedal was happening during engine idle conditions, the booster is most likely the culprit unless you have some radical cam or vacuum problems in the first place.
From what I have read, the TTA style block is the way to go. Past this I can't help you much here as I don't care for the vacuum conversion system on these cars.

Last - Your rear brake shoe issue has nothing to do with a vacuum conversion. If it is doing it now, it was probably doing it with the Powermaster. The cylinder will only push on the upper part of the shoes. The shoes pivot at the bottom. The cylinder will (should) push on both shoes. If only one shoe is moving, the other shoe is stuck in place or the cylinder is hanging up.

HTH

Back