problems with my rear end

If the lash is that far out, it could well be that the crush sleeve has collapsed, and the pinion brgs are loose. Driven this way, the gear pattern WILL be toast.
I use the solid sleeve w/ shims to set brg loading.
Pull the d/s, grab the pinion yoke, and see if it moves in/out.
Check yoke fit at the trans output shaft.

Probably hitting the nail on the head here! Quick way to tell if you have a spool or locker is to try and do a tight turn. If you have a spool you will know it then, tires will squeal in protest! Locker will clunk as it disengages for a tight turn and then will clunk back in when going straight. Really scary the first time you experience it. Had a locker in my pro street Chevelle with a manual trans. No experience with one with an automatic but probably would clunk going into gear, not to mention most of our cars do that anyway.

Found this article for you. Detroit Locker - Automatic Lockers - Locking Differentials

thanks i really appreciate all the info. and help, when i make a turn the tires chirp it doesn't matter what speed it's being done at so thats leading me to think it's a full spool, i'm going to give it the ol college try this weekend, thanks guys, may you all have a great weekend