Propane injection

suprchrgd

I was looking on the turbo regal board and they have a propane injection kit that is supposed to be far better than alky. I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about it. I am about to go to a 3.0 pulley,remove u-bend and cat,get a reprogrammed pcm,and now it looks like I may go for this as opposed to alky. Further down the road I may also get the cam.

They've actually just started trying out propane injection on our cars. I haven't really heard too much on how well they're working though.

I have a question for you: Why would you get propane injection on the GTP?

Here's why I ask: Propane injection works like nitrous, right? Now, think about it - Nitrous may be bad for your motor IF not applied correctly, BUT it's safe for us. Propane may be a little better for the motor, but it's FLAMMABLE, unlike nitrous. Now, you already have one power adder, why go with another? Have you noticed that out of the fastest GP's in the world - NONE of them are running nitrous or propane. Anyways, that's just my .02.

The Propane isn't necessarily for power. Although that's not a bad side effect it is actually to eliminate knock associated with going to a smaller pulley.

thes/c pcm backs off timing(knock retard) when it reads knock the propane can prevent knock by coolingair combustion chamber this is also what alky does

Well, I'm just wondering why you're going the propane injection route I guess. Why not buy a DHP PCM or play with the timing or get a high resistance KS?

I am getting a reprogrammed pcm. But when you go to a 3.0 pulley you either need alky or propane to counter the knock.

Originally posted by suprchrgd
I am getting a reprogrammed pcm. But when you go to a 3.0 pulley you either need alky or propane to counter the knock.

Out of all the people I know running the 3.0 I am 99.9% positive that NONE of them are running either. They've only just started trying propane injection on the GP and I don't know anyone using alky. Maybe you should look into it, though.

Sorry they weren't more helpful. I guess your best bet would be to put up a thread on ClubGP and see what those guys say. Maybe someone's tried injecion and found something that works better, or even have pointers for you while you're putting in the injection.

Good Luck!! Let me know how it all turns out:)

How many of you guys are running boost higher than stock without a knock gauge or scan tool?

I tinkered, adjusted, and played around with all sorts of things, but I didn't DARE add boost until I got the scan tool. It is a recipe for disaster if you have knock and keep driving it like that. Also, I don't know about the SC cars too much but I know that audible knock is TOO MUCH, and damaging knock happens before you start to hear it.

Preliminary results for the turbo guys show that propane is a good solution....we'll see how it goes.

Also, propane is a fuel that is used in some cars, forklifts, mower engines, etc, so it's not like Nitruos.

Originally posted by scottyb
How many of you guys are running boost higher than stock without a knock gauge or scan tool?

I tinkered, adjusted, and played around with all sorts of things, but I didn't DARE add boost until I got the scan tool. It is a recipe for disaster if you have knock and keep driving it like that. Also, I don't know about the SC cars too much but I know that audible knock is TOO MUCH, and damaging knock happens before you start to hear it....

Sure fire way to destroy an engine. It's absolutely nuts to start messing with boost without monitoring knock.

After I bought my CAI and 3.4 pulley, the scan tool was the next mod I bought. ;)

Originally posted by scottyb

Also, propane is a fuel that is used in some cars, forklifts, mower engines, etc, so it's not like Nitruos.

I understand it can also be used as a fuel, but with an injection kit isn't it meant to work in the same fashion as Nitrous? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I always thought:confused:

Originally posted by mandersgtp
I understand it can also be used as a fuel, but with an injection kit isn't it meant to work in the same fashion as Nitrous? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I always thought:confused:

I don't understand the chemistry of it all, but here's a good ole boy's interpretation:
Nitrous is a power adder, like we use a turbocharger or supercharger. I don't know how volatile or flammable it is, but I do know that it is a bolt-on and suddenly add 75 hp blast with no other changes.
Propane is a fuel in itself. I don't know if it has better octane or if it cools the charge, or both, but it is proven to curb knock in a forced induction engine. Diesel's have used it for years for this.

For the TR guys, the beauty of propane over alky is it is a fuel where the alky mainly cooled and added octane. The alky is harder to tune and it can bog the car if injected too early. The propane seems to have no adverse affects, and it seems that guys can run higher boost than they did with alky.

I see an even better benefit for you. Alky wouldn't work (or at leat not easily) because of the supercharger placement and the ability to inject the alcohol evenly. You can't inject the alcohol before the supercharger and expect the supercharger to live long. Propane is a gas and you could pop a nozzle before the throttle plate, viola!

Do some searches in the general turbo tech for propane and alcohol and you will find all kinds of crap.

That pretty much sums it up. The octane rating for propane has been debated on several boards and the general consensus is anywhere from 104 to 110 octane. on the TRs it works quite well so I dont see any reason it wouldn't do the same here. My testers have seen 6-8 PSI gains with propane over straight pump gas.

I've been talking to a guy with one of the faster FWD cars (A FWD Regal) about putting propane on it and he is interested. The car has been mid-high 11s now non intercooled (No nitrous) and we're thinking this might get him a little more boost to play with.

Originally posted by JayC
That pretty much sums it up. The octane rating for propane has been debated on several boards and the general consensus is anywhere from 104 to 110 octane. on the TRs it works quite well so I dont see any reason it wouldn't do the same here. My testers have seen 6-8 PSI gains with propane over straight pump gas.

I've been talking to a guy with one of the faster FWD cars (A FWD Regal) about putting propane on it and he is interested. The car has been mid-high 11s now non intercooled (No nitrous) and we're thinking this might get him a little more boost to play with.

Do you have this guys name and email address?? I am curious to learn how he got his car that fast. Thanks.

Originally posted by JayC

Have him post on this list!

http://www.gp-owners.com/cgi-asp/qtrmile.asp?txtfunc=1