Pt-54 vs ta-49

86TType

Slick 86 T-type
I have a stock motor stock heads with 42lb injectors 3in dp with 46mm external gate 2800 converter built trans and stock intercooler and a TT 93octane chip.... which turbo is better for what i have and im looking to get intercooler dunno if i should go with fmic or slic... any suggestions?

The 49 will be the better choice of the ones you listed, mainly due to lag, the pt54 will have some lag and needs a converter with more stall. I have ran both the 49 and 54, the 49 is a better choice for the street, if a drag car the 54 can take one into mid 10 sec 1/4 mile.
Since your 93 octane and low boost, the 49 is the only good option of the two listed.

As far as intercooler, I would get a used duttweiler neck stocker, or a new gn1 stock location.

The 49, dut neck stocker and add alky, turn boost up, this will make a very nice combo for the street.

Last edited:
I have a stock motor stock heads with 42lb injectors 3in dp with 46mm external gate 2800 converter built trans and stock intercooler and a TT 93octane chip.... which turbo is better for what i have and im looking to get intercooler dunno if i should go with fmic or slic... any suggestions?
Your going to be very disappointed with anything you buy if you run it on 93 octane.the stock turbo intercooler and converter are perfectly matched for a stock motor on 93 because your boost and timing limited.

New intercooler and Power Plate before getting turbo. You can turn up the boost a few psig with the stock turbo, and it will make noticable power.

Get turbo after that. More boost and more power. Not too crazy tho on the pump gas.

I'd say the 49 would work the best with the 2800 stall NON STOCK STALL converter you have.

Stock location upgraded intercooler also so no surge.

Alky first, 49 next, converter 3rd, intercooler last

Let me ask you this. With the way the car is now. For a stand still to wide open throttle... Does is start spinning the tries before it goes in to 2nd gear and when it shifts does it really start screaming the tires?

Let me ask you this. With the way the car is now. For a stand still to wide open throttle... Does is start spinning the tries before it goes in to 2nd gear and when it shifts does it really start screaming the tires?

With the factory 15in wheels it spinned first gear and second a lil but with the 20in wheels and i have softer nitto tire on them it hooks and go and bark 2nd and thats at 17psi

I have learned to appreciate all the power ranges of TRs. If your car was mine it would be two ways to increase power on pump gas. Ported Heads and cam on 93 and 17psi. Or Alky/E85 and up the boost to 23-25. I would not upgrade the intercooler until after one of those and im a FMIC fan unless you are in an area it gets really hot in the summertime then go SLIC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have learned to appreciate all the power ranges of TRs. If your car was mine it would be two ways to increase power on pump gas. Ported Heads and cam on 93 and 17psi. Or Alky/E85 and up the boost to 23-25. I would not upgrade the intercooler until after one of those and im a FMIC fan unless you are in an area it gets really hot in the summertime then go SLIC.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yea im in north alabama and it gets hot here

Is there e85 where you live? If so, convert to e85 then do the turbo and turn up the boost. Like forcefed and Mr. Spool have said, can't turn up the boost on 93 octane. Converting to e85 is relatively inexpensive and easy to do.