You can type here any text you want

pulling pan w/motor in car. suggestions?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

SS_Sean

Pro Bracket
I had the bearings in my new PTE 6262 let go. They rebuilt the turbo under warranty (thank you PTE), but Holly Hartline called and advised me that I had to pull the pan and clean it out. The bearings were not in the turbo...unfortunately I drove the car 25 miles home after I heard the turbo let go, but I didn't know it was the turbo that let go...

My intake manifold is currently off. I imagine I'll need to raise the motor up off the mounts a little to get at the bolts, and be able to slide the pan out. Anyone have any suggestions or advice for me?

Thanks. :)

You do not have to raise the engine up to get the oil pan off. Remove the wiring harness onthe front of the engine along with the intercooler brackets, starter and the exhaust crosspipe. Did mine to replace rear seal with no problems.

I had the bearings in my new PTE 6262 let go. They rebuilt the turbo under warranty (thank you PTE), but Holly Hartline called and advised me that I had to pull the pan and clean it out. The bearings were not in the turbo...unfortunately I drove the car 25 miles home after I heard the turbo let go, but I didn't know it was the turbo that let go...

My intake manifold is currently off. I imagine I'll need to raise the motor up off the mounts a little to get at the bolts, and be able to slide the pan out. Anyone have any suggestions or advice for me?

Thanks. :)

I just pulled mine off (with engine in the car) to change the gasket. Pretty quick job, even laying on your back under the car.

Drop the crossover pipe, inspection cover, and then your pan.

You will need a "wobble" joint for about two or three of the bolts, and an open end wrench for one (front passenger side).

Not that bad of job.

What chances did Hartline give you that some damage was caused to your engine?

Rob

If they went through the intake side they would probably be in your intercooler. If they went down the oil return just hope the didn't land on a cam lobe. The oil pan comes off pretty easy just keep in mind the pickup tube.

i've got metal pieces on the pickup screen and in the bottom of the pan. time to pull the motor. unfortunately this thing only has about 200 miles on the motor. :)

Cut the filter open and see what it looks like. It may not have caused much if any damage. With the pan off, pull a couple of rod caps and look at the bearings. Also, look at the cylinder bores for signs of scuffing. You may be OK. If all looks well and your oil pressure is still good, I would just pretend like it didn't happen. Good luck.

I pulled the rear main and some material went through. There is slight scuffing. I could probably slap it all together and call it good, but I'm going to roll a set of bearing in there with the motor in the car.

Back