PVC problems

Mark Brokaw

I have oil coming from my pvc.Just started doing this after a head swap.Before the head swap no oil on the intake.

What is the best way of stopping this from happening.
I did a search and some people were using a catch can.How do you hook it up?Is there a kit you can buy?
any other suggestions on how to stop this?

get a Delco PCV and see if tht helps or solves the problem

also some of the problem could be your running a pvc and not PCV:D

fram and other brands of PCVs dont seem to work as well in our cars if you dont have a delco get one and replce the hose s well maybe even the groment.

Did you use the stock style gaskey that covers the valley? If you use the indivisual gaskets, you can get excess oil pulled through the PCV. I use the indivisuals to seal the ports and a partial stocker to cover the valley. Clear as mud? Mark E.

stock style intake gasket(no felpro's)
ac delco PCV<<<<<<<<<<< (THANKS REAPER)

Do you think the catch can is the best route with fixing this problem.

P.S. I found that thread when I did a search.Just people arguing wether or not to plug the PCV or not;)

another cheap way of removing the oil from the pcv line is to run through a compressed air water separator trap, the ones you find on your air compressor tank, this works so well, on my 2000 silverado, I catch about 3 oz. of oil a week and my oil consumption has gone down to zero, this also protects the inside of the manifold from exess coke build up a problem on the Vortec motors.

I also put a valve before the water trap to slow down the flow going through it.

Originally posted by LaBuick
another cheap way of removing the oil from the pcv line is to run through a compressed air water separator trap, the ones you find on your air compressor tank, this works so well, on my 2000 silverado, I catch about 3 oz. of oil a week and my oil consumption has gone down to zero, this also protects the inside of the manifold from exess coke build up a problem on the Vortec motors.

I also put a valve before the water trap to slow down the flow going through it.

I did this too but the thing would fill up in 200 miles so I decided to just get rid of the PCV once and for al and the best part...for free.We all change our oil every other week so this is not a problem for most.

P.S. I found that thread when I did a search.Just people arguing wether or not to plug the PCV or not;)

(LAUGHS!) I am still perplexed why this was not a major issue form the factory. Looks like most who have this issue have done some type of engine work. Just my severely uneducated observation.

well I guess if you are constantly filling up the catch can or water trap with oil, and you still want to retain the pcv system ( i would) you can have a tube welded into the the exhaust pipe somewhere so as to create a ventury effect, thus allowing you to create vacuum ventilation in the case of the block and giving you a place to dump blowby oil residue instead of throttle body.

Some say this will actually help make more power by creating a vacuum in the case and making a better ring seal on the pistons a high rpm.

labuick your air/water separator looks like the route I am going to take.Since my car is not a daily driver I am not concerened with it filling up quickly.CAn you give me a quick set of instructions on how you ran the hose.Also,Where did you mount it?

thanks in advance

Originally posted by Mark Brokaw
labuick your air/water separator looks like the route I am going to take.Since my car is not a daily driver I am not concerened with it filling up quickly.CAn you give me a quick set of instructions on how you ran the hose.Also,Where did you mount it?

thanks in advance

I mounted my oil trap on a Silverado so I'm not familiar with your engine compartment, but you wan't to try and keep it perpendicular, you can mount it on the frame somewhere so you don't have to look at it I guess or on a fender.

I just used some brass barbed fittings on the trap, and ran a hose from the pcv to the trap, then from the trap to the manifold, or TB vacuum port. The important part is that your pulling vacuum through the air/water trap correctly or it wont work properly.