You can type here any text you want

quarter glass?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
i just did mine 2 weeks ago...lots of fun.
there are a few post on this venture.
u have to remove the rear plastic interior, top part at least, once ur in there,
u need to remove the speed nuts that are holding the window from within, there are about 5 nuts, then the icky part, i took one of those hook knives and from inside removed some of the window goop (if window wond budge (because if they were never removed the window before its a pain, i took some goop off little by little. every once in a while make pressure from inside the window pushing out, you will feel it give. if u dont, keep removing the goop from the inside. whatever u do, dont pry the window out from the outide, you will mess it up. and WEAR RUBBER GLOVES, what i did i put on like 4 pairs of rubber gloves over each one and once the gloves got too icky from the goop, i removed that glove and had another under it.....:) that way u dont slow down ur job and stop to put on another set.
word of caution..that goop is from hell, its a real mess to deal with. whatever it touches it becomes part of...lol
good luck..

kirban 2 cents worth

I done quite a few taking parts cars apart....advice prior is all good...
On taking the inside panels off unless I missed it you need that funny torx socket to remove the upper seat belt bracket to pop that panel off completely out of your way.

Be sure to work the entire window assembly out gradually to avoid kinking the metal frame part.

The black stuff or butle tape or dum dum whatever its called you want to use all new when you reinstall....think its 5 10mm speed like nuts that hold windows in place.

Every window is different as far as how sticky that black stuff is....make sure you check your shoes before entering your house....that black stuff is a mess.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I've had 5 cars painted and I always removed the quarter glass. There is the obvious disassembly needed but it comes down to how do you actually remove the glass it's self. If you are in a warm climate, let it sit in the sun. If not use a hair dryer being careful not to melt the rubber trim. Then you lay on your back in the rear seat, put your feet against the glass and start pushing. Don't kick, just push. You have lots of leverage and it won't be to difficult. The glass is not going to break. Don't forget to have the wife stand outside just in case you push too hard.
Gary

I've had 5 cars painted and I always removed the quarter glass. There is the obvious disassembly needed but it comes down to how do you actually remove the glass it's self. If you are in a warm climate, let it sit in the sun. If not use a hair dryer being careful not to melt the rubber trim. Then you lay on your back in the rear seat, put your feet against the glass and start pushing. Don't kick, just push. You have lots of leverage and it won't be to difficult. The glass is not going to break. Don't forget to have the wife stand outside just in case you push too hard.
Gary

If you go this route make sure that your shoes are clean (no little rocks) the windows WILL break. Otherwise use the whole palm of your hand. Another tip the glue (butyl) will stick to itself better than anything so ball it up & use it to remove the rest.

This weekend was my first attempt at removing the rear quarter windows on our 86GN as I prepared for my butyl battle. I read all the posts on this site, watched a few videos out there and came up with a plan and fortunately it worked out. What I did was sit inside the back with my 99 cent orange handled pic from Harbor Freight and several plastic bags and gloves of course. I also placed a rag under the window area so anything that dropped from the seal being removed would fall on the rag and not my new seats and trim. Once I removed the five 10mm nuts with no issue I took my pic and was able to grab small sections and pull it out. I was able to turn my right angled pic over and over and the butyl came out one piece at a time. Pieces ranged in size from 1/2 inch up to 3" in length. I did this inside a COOL garage as I felt the harder the butyl was the less sticky and gooey it would be. I managed to spend about 30 minutes per windw i just removing the butyl from each window. I did not need to use much force at all to push the window out and I was able to get them out without making a big mess. I used probably 6 bags to stick the butyl in and grabbed the bag to pull it off the pic without using my glove. I did not have to change gloves and did not get much if any on the gloves. Perhaps I was lucky. I have no idea if the windows had ever been removed or not. The car was repainted but such a poor job was done on the repaint they may or may not have even bothered to remove the rear quarter windows. I hope this helps someone who is considering doing this project themselves vs paying a firm to do it.

Back