You can type here any text you want

Question about bent JW flexplate

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BEATAV8

The Engine Whisperer
I have a used shortblock with a steel crank and a JW flexplate. Previous owner / builder installed the flexplate without relieving the ID bore inner edge to clear the crank fillet. This "tweaked" the wheel slightly... looks ever so slightly like a dinner plate now. But apparently this did not cause a problem for the previous owner.... (as far as I know)

Anyways.. what's the preferred procedure for beveling the ID edge of the wheel? Grind it by hand or take it to a shop and put it on a lathe? I'd like to find out if this wheel will straighten itself out if I bolt it back up after clearancing

I recently installed a JW flexplate (93007L) on my new long block. Did not need to debur the ID and it fit very nicely...maybe only .001-.002" clearance between ID and crank OD.

I'm ashamed to say it because it's only been 3 months since I installed it, but I'm pretty sure it is "bent" intentionally...I'm absolutely sure the POS CAT flexplate was...but I had to examine it a lot more!! Before worrying about it I'd send a pic to JW and ask them if yours is distorted or normal.

HTH, Bob

Thinking more about it I think the JW flexplate was not intentionally bent... And to be clear the CAT flexplate was bent intentionally....it was a POS for other reasons...not the bend.

Bob K

Thinking more about it I think the JW flexplate was not intentionally bent... And to be clear the CAT flexplate was bent intentionally....it was a POS for other reasons...not the bend.

Bob K

Hi Bob
Yeah I read about those CAT flexplates being POS's. On my setup the flexplate needed to be relieved in order to fit my crank. I ended up installing the flexplate backwards and torqueing the bolts to bend the flexplate back to where it was straightened out. Then I beveled the edge and reinstalled the flexplate properly. Looks OK now.

Back